Forum 5

Cold weather & Emergency Call fail (again)

Should have attempted this job during the summer when it was warm and light!

Had the “Emergency call system unavailable” warning popping up last year during very low temperatures. This year its started early and persists much longer. The battery is £60 but a swine to fit. I’m not prepared to pay £400 to have it done by the dealer and 2 indies have quoted not a lot less.

ISTA is showing the entire head lining needs to be removed in order to properly access the Telematics Unit from under the shark fin. Is there another way?

I read somewhere you can drop the back half of the headlining only and with difficulty create enough room to squeeze an arm in. Has anyone tried this? I don’t want to damage anything by blundering around prizing trims off and bending flimsy foam mouldings only to find it’s not possible.

The other question I have is, how is the battery retained? Spring tray? Snaps in somehow? Screw fitting? Push fit/pop out? I’d hate to be able to reach it but not extract it or reconnect the new one.

I changed it on my G32 with a write up here: 

It is in the same position on the G31 but the trim bits are different. Once you've got as for forward as the rear grab handles, you should have enough space to pull the headlining down as I did and use a little hook tool to release the battery trap door and then to close it you just push the door closed.

I’m in exactly the same boat! Put it off all year and now the cold weather has caught up with me. I’m tempted to just leave it again - same reason as before, it’s too cold for faffing outdoors. -4 this morning.

• 3 weeks later...