Forum 5

Blower unit - rain leak into the cabin

OK so I have:

• replaced the yellow grommet
  • cleared the drain hole from the grommet to fender
  • cleaned the drain grommet behind the wheel arch liner

but the car is still leaking. Looking up from the carpet, you can see corrosion above the fuse box where the water has been entering the car, and the sound deadening foam above the grommet is dripping wet.

So today I got the pros in the remove and reseal the windscreen. However they advised the seal was not degraded, so put that one down to experience and a process of elimination…

As the water ingress is high up above the fuse box, it has to be entering from the blower area.

The blower to bulkhead seal looks good, as does the blower top cover seal.

Question

Is there a drain point underneath the blower?
It seems water is routed from the windscreen, over the wiper trim and dumped onto the blower case.

Or am I missing a piece of trim?

IMG_4150.jpeg

IMG_4152.jpeg

Thanks for the input 

yes the car was in pieces getting the screen re-fitted - and after removal the fitters could not see any gap or failed seal. This was investigating where else water might enter - I do have both trim pieces in your pic 

I’m interested where the rain water goes after it is routed over those trim pieces. It follows the blue arrow, but the drain marked in red seems to dump it on the blower unit. I can’t see any thing underneath it in real OEM site but it’s sometimes hard to navigate mating parts in those diagrams 

IMG_1222.jpeg

IMG_1223.png

The water routes down from the windscreen, through the holes showing in the trims, down against the bulkhead and down into the plenum formed by the sound insulation panel infront of the yellow grommet. From there out via the little hole in the wing area and out down out the back of the wheel arch trim. Water from the windscreen does not enter the blower motor housing.

The blower motor housing has a slightly flexible duct that attaches to the plastic that forms the pollen filter housing inside the car. This flexible duct slots into this pollen filter housing and from factory uses a sticky sealing goo. If this housing has been removed or disrupted, then it will need resealing as it could allow water ingress.