Forum 5

car breakdown warrenty prices gone up

oldtechnoman

Just had a notification from the RAC that my breakdown cover was going up in price from £21 to £33 a month. just wondering what is the best price to expect to pay if i cancel the policy.

just to say that since i had a stroke and have a blue badge the car is only used for local journeys

just one query if I am the only driver of the car and the wife is just a passenger is this counted as single use only in the policy.thanks tim.

I get the basic AA cover provided as a "benefit" from my bank and then pay and additional £120 a year for the full package including "Home Start" and full recovery. Perhaps not the cheapest but driving a couple of old sheds it has proven to be very useful over time. 

What I particularly like is that I'm covered for ANY car I am in...

• 2 weeks later...

For my daughter’s car I buy the AXA breakdown cover and that includes home start for under £70 per annum.  I get Greenflag for my wife and I through work and add on an AXA policy for my regular travels to France. 

Definitely shop around as £21 or worse still £35 per month is crazy expensive. 

My wife used to work for HMRC and got membership of what was then the civil service car club something or other.  Since then it become known as Boundless and we get a monthly magazine.  It currently costs £105 p.a.  This includes breakdown cover with Britannia Rescue.  The cover is for the both of us and covers us for the rescue package even if we are just passengers in someone else's car.