Forum 5

Door drains on E60

Humour

I'm trying to figure out if these black round things in the bottom of the doors are door drains? They look more like caps and appear difficult to remove. 

I have the drivers door draining quite alot of water after rain, but nothing from the passenger side. 

PXL_20231015_114743797.jpg

PXL_20231015_114754186.jpg

2 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Could be the way you park as my left always have more than the right. The drains are hiding behind the rubber door seal.

You could be right there. My drive is pretty even left to right but there is a slight incline going in so the front axle is higher than the rear. 

Are the door seals easily removable without damage? They seemed pretty firm and I didn't have the minerals to muscle through with removing the seal. 

Edited by Humour

21 minutes ago, Clavurion said:

Sounds like quite typical failed vapour barrier sealing on door below door card. That plug has nothing to do with it.

Interesting. So you are saying that the door shouldn't leak like that unless the vapour barrier is damaged? If so, it's a case of door card off to repair, or replace (if that's possible, I know those things are glued on like windscreens).

Edited by Humour

1 hour ago, Humour said:

Interesting. So you are saying that the door shouldn't leak like that unless the vapour barrier is damaged? If so, it's a case of door card off to repair, or replace (if that's possible, I know those things are glued on like windscreens).

The vapour barrier is adhered with butyl adhesive. When it fails water when entering the door will partly come out the the vapour barrier on top of the sill. Clearly shown (when the vehicle is level) water dropping out from the inner sill when you open the door.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Humour said:

Water shouldn't leak inside the car. If there's water above the bottom door seal - that's failed water barrier. If there's water above sill, that's just coming from door drainage, because when doors are closed, drainage is above sills, once you open door, what ever water was stuck above sill just find it's way out.

Another one - as you open doors, most likely they change their angle/level against ground slightly and that could make sudden water discharge from one of drains. Absolutely normal thing. What you might check is find drain holes and make sure that all of them are unblocked and letting water through.

If you don't get water inside car, there's nothing to worry about and your water barriers should be fine.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ray112 said:

Water shouldn't leak inside the car. If there's water above the bottom door seal - that's failed water barrier. If there's water above sill, that's just coming from door drainage, because when doors are closed, drainage is above sills, once you open door, what ever water was stuck above sill just find it's way out.

Another one - as you open doors, most likely they change their angle/level against ground slightly and that could make sudden water discharge from one of drains. Absolutely normal thing. What you might check is find drain holes and make sure that all of them are unblocked and letting water through.

If you don't get water inside car, there's nothing to worry about and your water barriers should be fine.

Thanks alot for the feedback, I'm relatively new to the e60 platform and the 5 Series as a whole. 

I will check again but I'm sure that there is no wetness above the rubber door seal, only on it or below it. 

I attempted to find the drainage holes but failed, evidently. I will try to move the rubber seal around a bit (without attempting to remove it from it's seat) and see if I can find them as Gonzo mentioned they are hidden behind the rubber which didn't occur to me at all. 

No water inside the car that I'm aware of, and yes water drains out onto the sill and the floor when the door is opened, but only the drivers side, the passenger side doesn't drain like that at all, hence raising suspicion that one side or the other is not working as ddesigned.