Forum 5

F10 520d brake disc replacement - how many miles?

2 minutes ago, Calypso-E34 said:

Textar I think they said - something like that anyway! OEM quality. The choice was these, OEM or budget

Yeah cos you want to fit budget brakes to your car.

Spend money on brakes, not save it.

You'll be rightly with Textar.

Last time I had front discs and pads on a BMW was on my last F10, the 525d Six. Main dealer came in cheapest for OEM quality parts. Unfortunately I’m divorced from my local dealer. 

There’s a recall on my car to replace the EGR I think - BMW have been on about it for 18 months but only now have the parts. I have to go to the dealer for that. Booked it in yesterday. Earliest available appointment?  December. 

pathetic. 

1 hour ago, Calypso-E34 said:

I have to go to the dealer for that. Booked it in yesterday. Earliest available appointment?  December. 

pathetic. 

It's all these electric BMWs that keep breaking while under warranty and are clogging up the dealerships.

On 09/08/2024 at 18:48, Andrew said:

It's all these electric BMWs that keep breaking while under warranty and are clogging up the dealerships.

Nah - this dealer has never been any different. In fairness, they look after cars from Inverness and everywhere north, east and west of it - wasn’t an issue years ago when a BMW was pretty exclusive, and you only had the  3,5 and 7 series. Now everyone and their dog can afford a BMW by leasing it - and the range is huge. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/08/2024 at 10:58, Calypso-E34 said:

So - a wee update on this.  Car is now on almost 55000 miles on the original front discs.  There's a bit of a lip on them, and I will be travelling 4 up to Ireland next month, so I've chickened out and booked the car in for front discs and pads.  OBC is saying I have 3100 miles to go, but it's been saying that for three months.

And so the saga goes on!!  Car went into the garage today to have it's discs and pads.  Got a call to say there is absolutely no point in replacing at the moment, as the discs still meet the minimum thickness requirement, with plenty of meat left on the pads.  Reckons there's easily another 6000 miles in them.  MOT and service is due in February, so we'll have another look at that point.

Apparently this is to do with driving style, and it is true to say that I very rarely use the brakes in anger.  Must be an age thing!

This is seriously impressive stuff.  Makes me want to go for OEM parts when the time does come.  My Daughter's Renault Clio has about 60000 miles on it, and definitely needs discs and pads - the fourth set, according to the service records.

Regarding, your last paragraph, sounds like the issue regarding wear is related to the style of driving. I have a daughter who drives too; luckily she uses a stock fiat 500, so can't really go 'Sabine-esque' but doesn't stop them trying🙄

• Haha 1

I was going to say dodgy French build quality (brakes made out of cheese) plus a petrol headed young girl behind the wheel do not make for a mechanically sympathetic combination  🤪

18 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I was going to say dodgy French build quality (brakes made out of cheese) plus a petrol headed young girl behind the wheel do not make for a mechanically sympathetic combination  🤪

Yep - I have three daughters, all drivers - but this one is the biggest girl racer. 19 and on her second car. Wants a Golf next. 

5 minutes ago, Calypso-E34 said:

Yep - I have three daughters, 

Wait, what?

So after #2, there was a conversation of, yes dear lets have another one?

Are you mad?

No sympathy. 🤪

I have two daughters and made sure, 2 won't become 3!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kopfjaeger said:

Its bad enough living with 2 ladies in the house, I cant imagine living with 4. I salute your patience...unless of course you're lucky enough to live in a Mansion and there are no queues for the bathroom?🤔

Two daughters are married and moved out long ago now. One left, and we have an en-suite!

That said, we do have a couple of grandchildren now…… 😂

• Like 1

After my daughter was born, I did a loft conversion to get an extra bathroom, in case offspring No 2 turned out to be a daughter, luckily, we got a Son, so much less pressure.

Mind you, there is endless grief about the kitchen. I bought my house before I was married and didn't give a stuff about kitchen (it's small), as I'm not a foodie or interested in cooking. The rest of the household are the opposite and bemoaning the size of the kitchen🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kopfjaeger said:

Mind you, there is endless grief about the kitchen. I bought my house before I was married and didn't give a stuff about kitchen (it's small), as I'm not a foodie or interested in cooking. The rest of the household are the opposite and bemoaning the size of the kitchen🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

We do occasionally have kitchen clashes.  I cook quite a lot, and Mrs and I like different food so we cook for ourselves a fair bit.  The Teenager also likes her own thing.