Forum 5

Electric car insurance gone through the roof

Stressed

I've been watching this for a while. A number of insurers have been giving electric car drivers about 2 month notice that they will NOT be able to insure them at renewal. Most of the Tesla drivers that have been informed after shopping round have now had prices of £5k plus when they was paying less than £1k for a years insurance. (Tesla cars were the main focus of the last article I read)

These insurance rises are effecting all fully electric cars. It seems repairers will not guarantee repairs to batteries or battery cases and will only replace batteries. At about £25k for Tesla battery replacement these cars are being written off. Companies like Aviva and John Lewis insurance are among some of the big names refusing to insure electric cars.

Are electric cars going to become even more unaffordable?

That is a ridiculous situation.  Clearly a preserve for the rich. Until the premium for going electric is no more than say 10% compared to combustion engined vehicles, no one is going to buy them.

There is also another pending issue. Given the concerns over lithium based fires, Developers are being forced to install high hazard sprinkler systems now where Electric chargers are proposed, in new developments. These additional costs will end up costing us all money as costs filter down.

It seems like an ever growing list of reasons to keep your old car going.  Hardly a week goes by without hearing another EV horror story.  Last week a car refused to answer to the brakes, wouldn't switch off and took the driver on a frightening drive through red traffic lights etc.  He rang the police on his mobile and they managed to get a large van to intercept him and have a 'safe' crash.  The car was tested and showed a staggering list of faults.  It was an MG, which I believe are made in China.

But even struggle with insurance, quite long fault lists found on cars, fire risk, expansive battery replacement, small range possible to travel and so on won't stop some people rumbling all day long how great these cars are and they will save the world etc. Honestly some people are literally gone made with them. I know couple, when they start to talk about EV  it sounds similar like talking to Jehovah witness, they don't hear anything else around, they just keep saying what they believe. 

More food for thought!

Government is trying to tell us that the life span of a car is 7-10 years. (total rubbish). I'm sure government is on a back hander from car manufacturers!

Based on this 7-10 years that means for an electric car to be "net zero" or environmentally friendly against a petrol or diesel including the manufacturing process you have to guarantee that all charging of the electric car is from renewable energy AND you would have to cover 35000 per year before it actually produces less emissions.

These are not my figures, this information has been from media articles I've been reading!

The average age of a car on UK roads is 8.7 years (according to google) so that 7-10 years is accurate. Convincing people to keep their cars longer and look after them, instead of swapping and changing every three years and using them like bumper cars would help the environment, but hey, that's just using logic and reason and cutting out the back handers so what do I know?

I don't know what the fine for driving without insurance is, but if it's less than £5000.................

2 hours ago, Flandy said:

The average age of a car on UK roads is 8.7 years (according to google) so that 7-10 years is accurate. Convincing people to keep their cars longer and look after them, instead of swapping and changing every three years and using them like bumper cars would help the environment, but hey, that's just using logic and reason and cutting out the back handers so what do I know?

I don't know what the fine for driving without insurance is, but if it's less than £5000.................

But 6 points is another factor to bare in mind. Get pulled twice for no insurance - and probably 12 months on public transport. I'm scared to think what insurance cost would be after that either. But 5k for insurance is ridiculous. I'm being 37 paying £350 for me, missus as second driver, stage 1 declared, 20k annual miles. Unless you are a teenager with some high performance car, 5k insurance cost is a joke. 

• 3 weeks later...

There are some aspects of insurance that make little sense.   I have two 1950's Austins. Both insured with the same company.  One was up for renewal this month. I rang the insurance company to enquire about a multi-car policy.  "Yes we can do you one for both cars, but it will cost more than two individual ones."   What!  I thought the whole idea was to secure your business and do you both a favour.  Obviously not.