Forum 5

Strange wiper behaviour

Whilst on the road yesterday during some moderate rain, my wipers started behaving very strangely, with the driver side wiper whacking the A pillar, as it was going too far over to that side. 
I think this was when they were going up to full speed. 
This went on for a few seconds, I stopped the wipers for a second or so, then they went back to normal. 
I can’t think what was happening there. 

Was it more than just full speed and planing over a very wet windscreen? Mine often do something like this especially after overtaking a truck in heavy rain and getting swamped. I do the same - turn them off and on again or is it more than that?

FWIW I think the wiper control on the G series is rubbish. On ‘intermittent’ it’s almost impossible to strike a balance between them going too often or waiting too long between wipes and sometimes for no apparent reason they burst into frantic action as above and need to be turned off and on again. Both my G series have done the same.

Edited by BobA

Yeh I think it was along those lines how it happened, whilst in auto and switching themselves to the fastest speed. 
Completely agree, the auto sensing is horrendous, no rhyme nor reason as to why they choose the speeds and intervals that they do. 
The bulletin suggests a control software fault which can’t be resolved and requires motor replacement, but you would think it wouldn’t be mechanically possible for them to do that unless a wiper blade was too large. 

On 07/10/2023 at 10:17, BobA said:

Was it more than just full speed and planing over a very wet windscreen? Mine often do something like this especially after overtaking a truck in heavy rain and getting swamped. I do the same - turn them off and on again or is it more than that?

FWIW I think the wiper control on the G series is rubbish. On ‘intermittent’ it’s almost impossible to strike a balance between them going too often or waiting too long between wipes and sometimes for no apparent reason they burst into frantic action as above and need to be turned off and on again. Both my G series have done the same.

Every 5 series I have ever owned has been just as hopeless for that. E61, F11, G31 all wide of the mark on intermittent. I have taken to turning the sensitivity to min before activating, and then adjusting in the (probably mistaken) belief that they are a bit more accurate if I do.