Forum 5

Original EGR Valve

1 hour ago, bavariandriver said:

I no longer have the cooler installed, will this cause a problem ?

is it ok to install the valve and block that outlet ?

Yes, easiest way probably is using the same style jubilee clamp as on egr cooler, and just use round blank plate to put at the end. Or if you can get someone to weld it that's another option. 

23 hours ago, bavariandriver said:

Thank you Ray112 will see if i can get it welded or just use a rubber end cap and clip.

I would suggest to use metal cap and clip. You can put some instant gasket between cap and egr valve. Possibly something simple as correct size coin will work.

45 minutes ago, Ray112 said:

I would suggest to use metal cap and clip. You can put some instant gasket between cap and egr valve. Possibly something simple as correct size coin will work.

Never use coins to block exhaust system. That metal can't handle heat.

50 minutes ago, Clavurion said:

Never use coins to block exhaust system. That metal can't handle heat.

He already has removed egr cooler, so exhaust manifold has some plate fitted. He's returning to stock egr valve instead of race pipe and plate is needed to block egr valve feed port in case it's leaking boost. No heat will be there.

Edited by Ray112

3 hours ago, Ray112 said:

He already has removed egr cooler, so exhaust manifold has some plate fitted. He's returning to stock egr valve instead of race pipe and plate is needed to block egr valve feed port in case it's leaking boost. No heat will be there.

I know in this case it doesn't matter. My point was mostly to warn people using coins with EGR in the first place. I've seen a case where someone used 2€ coin to block EGR and the middle part of the coin ended in the engine.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Clavurion said:

I know in this case it doesn't matter. My point was mostly to warn people using coins with EGR in the first place. I've seen a case where someone used 2€ coin to block EGR and the middle part of the coin ended in the engine.

That must have been one of most expensive 2€ coins on history. 😁 Probably two different metal combination didn't help either.

I have 6mm thick homemade aluminium plate bolted on exhaust manifold. It's there for over a year now. Neither German autobahn managed melt it neither everyday trashing to redline. Was meant to be temporary solution, but as we all know - temporary things are lasting the longest 😁  Maybe it's time to replace it with steel plate. Aluminium melting temperature is 660°c if I remember correctly, so probably not too far from that sometimes.

• Like 2