Forum 5

Trickle feed for G31 - where to connect?

Sjl

I’m going to be a away on an extended trip so want leave the car on a trickle feed to protect the battery, should I attach the trickle feeder to:

1. The battery directly

or

2. The jump points under the bonnet

Your thoughts appreciated!

You should never charge using a direct connection to the battery because you’re bypassing the IBS. You should use the under bonnet charging points. Having said that I doubt if a trickle charge would matter much one way or the other but from a purist point of view you should always have current going into or out of the battery via the IBS.

I charge mine through the terminals in the engine bay. You can drop the charging cables down through the engine bay and underneath the car. The noico charger sits under a rear wheel, connected to an external low level socket. In this way the car is secure. The bonnet and boot are closed and to the casual observer everything is normal.

If you leave the bonnet or boot ajar, some miscreant is likely to use the opportunity to steal or cause damage.

• Like 1

As has been said, always use the under bonnet jump start points and never to the battery directly. I charge mine through my Towbar electrics which has a direct 12v to the battery and the ground is upstream of the IBS so no issues there. Before I fitted the towbar, the clips for the CTEK MXS5.0 directly clipped to the jump start points and the cable routed neatly next to the headlght allowing the bonnet to be fully shut.

• Like 1