Forum 5

Air conditioning Has Failed

BobA

Here we are with an Indian summer and the air conditioning has packed in. I had it regassed this afternoon - no leaks but no success either so either an electrical or a mechanical fault. I leave it running all the time but just noticed the last couple of days on short runs it didn’t seem to be cooling but on a longer run yesterday it was decidedly warm air coming through. No idea where to start so this might be a garage call. 😞

Edited by BobA

Not good in this weather. 
If there is no leak then there is no need to re-charge it, that should only be done after identifying a leak, repairing it and pressure testing it. 
Who “regassed” it, and why did they do that if there is no leak? 
I take it they reclaimed what was in the system and recorded the charge weight? 
First things to check are that the magnetic clutch is engaging and driving the compressor when the AC is called for. 
If it is, then you likely have either a compressor issue or a system blockage, the blockage could be at the filter / drier or the metering device. 
If it isn’t then you likely have a control issue. 
Also check the condenser fan is working and that the active kidneys are opening. 
Did you get to see the pressures at all? 

Edited by ally

I used a local (non-BMW) outfit who advertise aircon servicing/diagnostics/repairs etc. I've used them before on other cars to top up the system and to replace a compressor once. They seem to have a fair reputation locally.

I don't know anything (nothing in fact) about how it all gets done - they use a fancy machine which removes/replaces the refrigerant, does a vacuum test, puts some sort of dye in the system and goodness knows what else. The guy told me that it took an extra 70grams roughly to refill the system and that after 4 or 5 years that was nothing to worry about and didn't indicate a significant leak.

I guess I'll have to look at ISTA and see where the various bits are. As you say not the weather for mucking about under the bonnet!