Forum 5

Windscreen trim replacement

duncan-uk

Just so people are aware - when you are getting a windscreen replaced the new screen comes with the trim already fitted to it - just in case anyone’s thinking of replacing the trim and they possibly need a new screen too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sharkfan said:

Just so people are aware - when you are getting a windscreen replaced the new screen comes with the trim already fitted to it - just in case anyone’s thinking of replacing the trim and they possibly need a new screen too.

That is very useful information.  I had a chip repaired a few years ago with a lifetime guarantee and it is not looking great so a new screen will be needed at some point.

I can take the trim off the list.

On 02/09/2023 at 21:17, duncan-uk said:

Indeed. I meant more every time I have a screen I get the one with sun visor tint. As I’ve not got it but would like it. Never been challenged yet. 

And of course it has the Clima Comfort (IR shield) too. 😉

When the windshield on my E39 was replaced the first time I just gave them the OEM part number and told that this was the glass when leaving the factory. Clima comfort ever since. 😅

On the other hand the old glasses were like 10 times more durable than current ones. 😒

Edited by Clavurion
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Clavurion said:

And of course it has the Clima Comfort (IR shield) too. 😉

When the windshield on my E39 was replaced the first time I just gave them the OEM part number and told that this was the glass when leaving the factory. Clima comfort ever since. 😅

On the other hand the old glasses were like 10 times more durable than current ones. 😒

Will the wimdscreen people put one of these special screens in, even if the one in the car is not of that type or do they insist on "like for like"?

Edited by Dbcrd

3 hours ago, Dbcrd said:

Will the wimdscreen people put one of these special screens in, even if the one in the car is not of that type or do they insist on "like for like"?

Depends much on the shop and how determined you are. Like I said I gave them the BMW part number for reference and stated that this is the glass the vehicle left factory with and the last time glass was renewed they must have installed a wrong version.

• Like 1

On 10/09/2023 at 13:41, Clavurion said:

Depends much on the shop and how determined you are. Like I said I gave them the BMW part number for reference and stated that this is the glass the vehicle left factory with and the last time glass was renewed they must have installed a wrong version.

Thanks.  I guess easier if it is actually on the build sheet for the VIN.