Forum 5

Prices for wee bits of old BMWs are nuts now!!

Calypso-E34

Maybe a few of you who have been here a while will remember that I liked to tinker with and improve old E34s. 

I used to buy bits of trim, dash and other internal bulbs, replacement leather gaiters etc, plus various clips and screws - all the little things which make a nice car just that bit nicer. a lot of them were pennies - BUT NOT NOW!!

Some of the dash and heater control bulbs are £12 EACH now!! Other stuff has gone the same way, and some things just NLA now. 

Yeah some of the silliest little things are priced ridiculously on fleabay these days. I find if there's something I need but not all that critical, I'll just check once a week or so over a while. They generally pop up eventually at a reasonable price. I think peerflation might also be a factor. Yes, I just made that word up 😄. Some greedy sod lists something for inflated price, then some silly sod sees it and lists his one likewise.

Keliuss

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Sir Anthony Regents Park said:

BMW Z3 door pulls - you know, the plastic things you use to pull the doors shut with.

Five. Hundred. Pounds.

Each.

s-l1600.jpg

Z3 bits are stupid money it seems, unless it’s something shared with the regular E36.

I’m looking for a few things - one of those door pulls (I have bodged mine but it won’t hold forever), a tonneau cover in black and a couple of other odds and sods. All stupid money so doing without for now - just keeping an eye out. 

The door cards on these cars are not as well designed or robust as the likes of the E34 (centre clip excluded!!).

4 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

Is it worth finding a cheap one and swapping bits around?

Maybe - but they all seem to go in the same places. Door pulls are brittle where they join the door frame, and the cards go to shit if they get wet - which happens because the car isn’t exactly 100% water tight.