Forum 5

Cars you regret selling...

duncan-uk

Most cars i can rationalise as to why we parted ways, some i wish i'd had more time with. This 525ix was a manual touring bought for a steal.

It was bought sight unseen and my father in law collected it and took it for an MOT which it passed. I spent a saturday giving it the once over before driving it home 270m  from Newcastle - no radio as we had no code.

I serviced it, deleted the SLS and fitted an OBC. Ran it locally for 6 months (boring story, wife had the family car as working contract and e28 M535i was not ideal for nursary duties) so we needed a car.

Sold for a small profit after 6 months but and car lived on a good few years in Cornwall. Always felt we had unfinished businsess...

P1000696.JPG

• 1 month later...

Strangest thing! I decided the time had come to sell my beloved, much cared for E39 530i TecnoViolet, hopefully to another E39 enthusiast. I've spent a vast sum , which I'm too embarrassed to own up to, to bring it to it's current level of reliability, performance and appearance (see my profile). But my spreadsheet, and my now seventy-nine years of age, told me it was time financially and practically to contract hire a brand new 'sensible' car, and this is what I've done (a 2024 model Mazda 3 186bhp Takumi). Trouble is, I now can't bring myself to sell the E39 TechoViolet, which is looking like new, and driving like a dream. The MOT, tax, insurance and service aren't due until January 2024, so it's not actually costing me anything at the moment, but it will have to go eventually of course. The moral of the story is: your E39 will be the car you most regret selling, if you can bring yourself to do so, that is!

2432918C-AB8B-422F-9AB0-E025A7AF0C032022-09-29_14-50-19_653.jpeg

• Like 1

I'd say I most regret selling my Imola red 530d. Not really sure why I sold it, it was in great condition, was well spec'd, and it looked fantastic. Chalk it down to temporary insanity....... 🤪

image.thumb.jpeg.f3dc6d9c4c985d21720d8660ba28f06e.jpeg

A Mk2 3 litre Capri Ghia, Mk5 2.3 Cortina Ghia X, an Opel Manta, all from in my twenties, 30 years ago now, and whilst none matched any of my BMW's for build quality or just to drive, all three would be worth a fortune now.

PS, I also had a couple of E34's 535i SE's later on, and always thought the earlier front end, and grill looked much better than the later facelift ones, and the last ones to have the bare quad headlamps, before they all became faired in, they did look good and very purposeful.

Edited by Steve VH

Yes, fair enough, most cars I have had because I wanted to own, drive, and appreciate their engineering, keeping up with the Jones's, I have no interest in.

A recent Bangers, and Cash program saw an RS2000 go for £50k plus, similar 1980's fast Fords not far behind.

Edited by Steve VH
Spelling

I’ve had a few BMW’s but I can’t be rose tinted, I like them, but I can’t say there’s ever been one I regretted selling.  Not sure I can say I regret selling any for one reason or another but the ones I miss the most are my Impreza and S2000, the first one I would regret selling is my 205 GTI I’ve had for over 20 years.

On 05/10/2023 at 13:40, MichaelE39 said:

2432918C-AB8B-422F-9AB0-E025A7AF0C032022-09-29_14-50-19_653.jpeg

You can't sell that! 

If you can drive the Mazda then you can drive the 530i. The e39 as an M Sport with those wheels is perfection. I had the M54 in an e46 330Ci, not a particularly sporty engine but lovely to waft around in with that deep smooth sound. 

I'm yet to really regret selling a car. I've enjoyed all the ones I've had but usually moved onto something better. I do miss having a light car, like the DC2 Integra and supercharged Eunos I had. Will fix that with an Elise at some point to complement the 535i but with the engine replacement it's just had that's half my budget swallowed! 

• 1 month later...

The only car that made me feel slightly emotional as the new owner drove away, it was a 1986 2.8 4x4 ghia, 

When I sold it was the only know 2.8 turbo technics tt280 to exist, there was talk in the community at the time that there was another but no one over found it, it had a lot of high end engine modifications, pistons, con rods crank , had a big oil cooler and came with a genuine rs500 intercooler, bigger injectors and a 7th injector, all this coupled with 4wd and 1250kg meant it was an absolute rocket.

IMG_3013.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I regret selling two of my previous cars, but as they aren't BMWs, not strictly relevant here?

Anyway, the 1st was a dark green Citroën XM, 2L petrol. I only got rid of it as it needed a new head gasket and other bits, such that the work was more expensive than the car's value....plus I wanted a 7 seater, with 2 kids in the family.

I would buy another XM, if I could, but most of the remaining ones are turbo diesels with high mileage.

The other car was a Mitsubishi Grandis equippe....2.4L (4cyl) petrol. A fabulous 7 seater and very flexible......

It was in mint condition, with 32,000 miles on the clock 🙄

I only sold it to part finance my F07. As of 5th February, the F07, is all mine😁

We sold this a few years ago, our 1993 TVR Griffith 500, chianti starmist with black leather - I had bought it for my wife when we moved back to the UK after a couple of years overseas...

spacer.png

spacer.png

We pined after it for years but then last year it popped up for sale but we had to ask ourselves - 'When would we use it now?'

I had bought it when we were younger and had the Yorkshire Moors and Dales on our doorstep and my wife's drive to work was the ribbon of road that is the A59 from Bolton Abbey through Blubberhouses to Harrogate. Now we live in the car park that is the South East and the M25 and A40 are my wife's commute and there are three of us - we had to finally admit it would rarely get used if at all.