Forum 5

getting DVL road tax refund for months remaining after scrapping a car

If I tax my car for the full year starting from this September and then scrap it say by mid September , am I right to think I can claim back 11 months worth out of the 12 month cost that I paid for when buying the full year licence? and  am I right to think the scrapyard would not hold back the V5C document , which I think is normally required for me to post to DVLA when requesting the refund?

you can do it straight away online which would start the refund process. 

You still keep part of the slip and use the reference number to state its been scrapped, who to, and on what date. 

Thanks DJ

just to fully understand your answer. You say I can start the process online . Is this before I scrap the car?

and you also say "I keep part of the slip". Do you mean the scrapyard take off part of the V5C document and leave me with the remainder on which I insert a reference number obtained from the scrapyard &  their name and scrap date to then send it back to DVLA in order to get the refund?