Forum 5

Fuseboards - aftermarket accessories

Kopfjaeger

I've decided to install a dashcam and want to hardwire the installation.

Irrespective of which dashcam to fit (that is another discussion!), the power options vary from cigarette socket (so 20th century...) to fuse board  or rain sensor wiring.

I've opted for the fuse board, as opposed to the rain sensor wiring.

Whilst waiting for my dashcam to arrive from China 🤣🤣, I'm planning the installation.

As part of the research, I've read about problems about fuse tapping inappropriate circuits, etc.

Dashcams either operate continuously, or only when driving.

Finding a safe power supply for driving, I think is relatively straightforward. I'm proposing to use a fuse that powers the 12V accessory sockets. There are 5 in my car🙄, 4 in the cabin and 1 in the boot. My fuseboard chart indicates 5 fuses for 12v accessory points.

I initially thought one fuse per socket, that isn't necessarily the case, based on wiring diagrams from TIS. At the moment the best option for me is fuse F54. This fuse only serves accessory sockets (see photos), so using a fuse tap on F54here should be safe and unlikely to affect the rest of the car electronics?

The harder part is the permanent power, if I want 24/7 coverage. I don't know which circuit, to safely tap into.

The initial struggle is to identify which circuits are permanently live and then which is suitable to use.

At the end of the day, 24/7 coverage isn't an absolute requirement, but I'd like to check and solve, if possible before I do the installation next month.

I know that I can overcome this issue by installing a dedicated battery that can power the dashcam when the vehicle isn't being used  but want to avoid this option  if possible.

So happy to hear from members who know more about the power supplies, especially those that own F01/F02/F10/F11 models that are likely closest to my F07

20230721_104629.jpg

20230721_104638.jpg

20230721_104652.jpg

Further to the original post, I've checked the front fuse board and it's pretty full. Without taking the glove box out for a proper look, I can only see one fuse slot unoccupied, F41. According to my fuse chart, slot F41 isn't used. I doubt it's powered, but if I can a permanent power supply, I might be able to power this slot.

I believe there are some accessory connectors on the battery that aren't being used, but don't really want to run cabling from the back of the car to the dashboard.

My accessory sockets provide power without the ignition being on. I assume this is only whilst the car is 'awake', triggered by the doors being opened. I don't particularly want to test if this circuit is permanently live, by plugging something in  and see if its still powered 2 or so hours later.

In the absence of any feedback, I assume no one knows if there is a suitable permanent live circuit to use, that doesn't share power with the alarm system, etc. So I'll plod along....

I've now discovered that the front fuse board on my F07 isn't really fuse tap friendly!

Ignoring the fact that the fuse tap (piggy back fuse holder doesn't fit the board). The plastic shroud is about 1mm too long, meaning the blades won't sit tightly in the socket. This has been fixed by trimming the shroud around the blades.

A further complication is that the RH edge of the fuse board has a small 'wall' running the length of the board from F55 to F41.

So my target fuse, F54, is hemmed in on both sides, making a conventional fuse tap useless.😡

Fortunately  there is a solution, a fuse extension connector...😁.

I've ordered some, so hopefully this will close out this issue.

20230728_231516.jpg

20230728_231251.jpg

20230728_143626.jpg

SmartSelect_20230728_232013_Opera.jpg

The next installment...

The wiring accessories from China have arrived that will allow me to fit my fuse tap to my preferred location of F54.

The fly lead on the extension socket is too long for my liking, so I will likely trim it to suit once I've tested the wiring ( now need to order some 6.3mm female spade connectors with tags🙄).

The attached photos show the components and assembled item to plug into the fuseboard.

These Fuse socket extension accessories don't seem to be available from Amazon or Ebay, but can be found on Aliexpress and Temu.

I may have an alternative solution for this route, but I update this option, when I receive the components and see if it works!

With the bad weather at the moment, it's stopping work on the car, I'm not hardcore enough to want to work in the wet!

Oh for the luxury of a nice garage, with a ramp and benches....

20230805_081710.jpg

20230805_081732.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

The alternative option didn't work. I was trying to use 'truck' extension fuse blades, but the blades are offset, not aligned, so that was £3 down the drain.

I've chopped the lead on the extension socket to suit my purpose and it's worked well.

For permanent power,  I've used the F40 location. Accesory power uses F54. The +12v is on the RHS of the fuses I've used, so the fuse tap lead is on the LHS of the fuse.

20230827_123836.jpg