Forum 5

Whats in the garage?

duncan-uk

So we all love a 5 but many of us have other cars and stuff - so hwta have people hidden away?

Embarassingly i have  4 cars:

The 535i F11 (family wagon - that maybe should go)

530d E39 (side lined family wagon that really should go)

E46 330i convertible (probably my favourite of the fleet which is odd as i never gelled with our 330d touring)

Alfa Romeo 33 1.5Ti (a car i dont need or ever desired but long story, in process of registering here in UK and then MOT time, probably will sell)

Realistically i should streamline the fleet...

I recently sold the Puma and now am down to 3. A Kia Sportage, my late wife's E88 and my well loved E39 525d which I have had from new. I have to consciously rotate the use of these. My favourite remains the E39 but the Kia's overall mpg of 48 over 18000 km makes it an ecomonical choice for many outings. The E88 has only done 43000 kms and I keep it for sentimental reasons. I find myself attracted to the idea of a classic but so far I have resisted the temptation

Mine is only the 118d but it is pretty nippy and being RWD handles well and it has good body rigidity.  Cabin space is good for the driver and front seat passenger but a bit tight for any rear seat passengers.The boot space is a bit limited when the roof is folded down and there is no spare wheel - just an electric pump and tyre sealant. The only problem I have encountered was with the oil filter housing unit. This is made from the dreaded BMW plastic and mine developed a leak ( not at the gasket). It had to be replaced at a cost of just over 500 euros.

• Thanks 1

As a few people know I have a couple of old BMW's tucked away. The one I've had the longest, over 25 years, is this, a 1982 635CSi auto. It's one of the very earliest right hand drive cars, being car 57 of the many automatis made. It has a slightly odd spec having an auto gearbox, cruise control, AC, Recaro LS seats and an LSD. Over the years it has had a few M635 bits added, namely the front air-dam, rear boot spoiler, wheel arch extensions and steering wheel. It now needs some tlc so if anyone is afetr an E24 project then let me know as I just haven't the time or money...

DSC00151.JPG.f67604d224d926fd73ddd7483eb003c0.JPG

cspacer.png

At some time nearly 20 years ago my wife bought me another E24, a 1985 M635CSi. Alpine white with Taurus red seats. It is beautiful, moreso for being restored about 15 years ago and being a garage queen since...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Last but by no means sizewise least is the car I bought when I had a V12 itch to scratch. I had wanted a V12 for a long, long time and after discovering Alpina when I bought my E39 B10 V8 Touring I had set about tracking down the E31, E32 and E38 Alpina B12 cars. The right hand cars were very thin on the ground and some of them have not been seen in decades now as well as a few being exported to Australia and the Far East but I decided if you're going to have an Alpina V12 B12 car then make sure it has all the bells, whistles and toys you would ever want so I took the chance to buy this, a 1997 E38 B12 5.7 Langvesrion, one of just two right hand drive cars ordered for the UK and the highest specified one of the two.

IMGP6366.thumb.JPG.7422162374a707e5798d84ed244a1453.JPG

IMGP6357.thumb.JPG.f6cef4cd5eaa136a4ae4857f4c6963b9.JPG

It has everything you want from a car and so much more - all four seats are heated, electric and reclining, leather everywhere, doubled glazed, front and rear fully automatic AC, sat-nav, full DSP 14 speaker system, two telephones that still work, rear tables and vanity mirrors, rear blinds, rear TV/DVD entertainment and I have since fitted a cooler box behind the rear armrest. It was described as the closest thing to a Lear Jet on the ground by a previous owner.

• Like 1

E39 530i Sport Touring and E46 330Ci convertible both live on the drive as the garage is full.  We are in London area and so often neither get used during the week.

Half of the garage is a wall of shelves containg car parts and tools.  Trying to thin it down to reduce the number of parts for cars I no longer own.

Excluding loads of non car related things, the other half is a hard top for the 330ci.  A massive roof box, welding equipment and I have lost count of how many spare BMW wheels of various sizes. A big number for various reasons.

Sadly no more cars.  At one time there was a metallic blue E21 323i in there but sadly not now.

Edited by Dbcrd

2008 530i estate for family duties. 

2002 x5 4.4i bought as a project on a whim now just an ornament on the drive, I will get back to it once the extensions finished. 

1998 mazda bongo, bought on a whim for trips away with 3 year old daughter. 

1998 ducati 916, been in bits since going to the TT in 2018, again the extensions getting in the way. 

I will get back to the projects hopefully this winter but we all know how it goes