Forum 5

Bangornomics....

Seesure

I did something silly last Saturday...

I've been missing having an estate car for a good few years now, especially the ability to just put "stuff" in without needing to think about it.

So I've bought a Volvo V70 with 194k miles on the clock - it's a 2005 plate and not a spec of rust anywhere on the bodywork... makes my Titan Silver/brown E39 from 2003 look shameful...

First thing we did - buy a chaise lounge off of Facebook Marketplace and it fitted in the back !!! 🙂

Tomorrow we have to pick up a 56"x46" mirror - again another purchase off of Marketplace... 

We are thinking this could be our "Cross Europe Challenge" car to go to the med coast in Turkey seeing as Covid put pay to using the little Merc C200 that I'd bought for that and with an electrical fault appearing this year, which I couldn't be bothered to chase down, meant I scrapped it for £400 - (It only cost £900 four years ago).

The V70 is the straight 5 diesel lump with 185bhp and once in the torque band it's got a healthy turn of acceleration especially in 2nd and 3rd gears. 

Anyway I've a couple of sensors to sort out and a bulb to replace but we'll see how we get on... 🙂

20230705_104951.thumb.jpg.ccc6941ee1bc08c1c12242e6c2fdd91f.jpg

• Like 1

Well I’m of the mind set. just do it but then I just bought an Alfa Romeo I didn’t need or want in Portugal. 

My stance was that worst case I dump car and fly home and you lose some money. 

As it goes I had an amazing trip. 

Worst thing is the car I didn’t want or need has earned my affections!

• Like 1

Well, first proper trip out - 140 mile round trip to a wedding in Bridgend with a detour on the way to pick up the big mirror - 58" tall by 46" wide, wrapped it up in an old sleeping bag and happy days... There was a good amount of A roads, motorways and usual congestion to contend with which was done rather comfortably in the front seat armchairs... 🙂

Seemed to be reasonably quick and smooth running at a decent lick, a noticeable nudge in the back when the turbo comes alive and hits the torque band - although it feels that the steering is overly assisted as it's definitely on the light side to what I'm used to. Air con working nicely keeping us cool on Thursday and Friday last week. 

Screenshot2023-07-10151318.thumb.jpg.62f24fa26b11c06c8e33ecf23af4b24a.jpg