Forum 5

Mystery connector in Touring tailgate wiring, any ideas what for?

PZero

Fellow longroof purveyors,

Whilst tinkering in the tailgate, I found a pair of unused connectors, which had been tucked away and tied back to the loom out of sight, seemingly from factory. One on each side, branches off the loom a couple of inches after enters the tailgate through the grommets on both sides.

20230702_120443.thumb.jpg.8b7f55f7a3abf6cab5166e8a615426e3.jpg20230702_120502.thumb.jpg.45b770080ac02d13a628db058b8f62ee.jpg

Not a connector type I've seen before, and although I can find it by part number on RealOEM, it only just comes up on 'Various comb connectors', so no clues from diagrams what it would/could connect to. Presumably some option which this car didn't have, but I'm stumped as to what it could be. Description of it in RealOEM specifically is 'Insulation Housing Fan Connector'. Can't imagine a tailgate with fans!

image.png.47364f40aa109173d9dc55f828e24e63.png

Googling has lead to a lot of images of it in relation to keyless entry retrofitting on E36's, but nothing else. Apepars that this connector is intended for a junction box, but there are none in the tailgate, don't know if every would have been nor what for if so? Haven't yet had multimeter on it so don't know if /when live, but wondering if this could be a convenient power source to tap for my reverse cam (which is less than ideally cabled at present). 

Anyone know what this pair of little fellas would have been for? Thanks in advance!

Edited by PZero

Maybe? Not encountered a powered tailgate in the flesh, but would have expected the 'doing' parts of it to be up in the roof / hinge area. Maybe it requires some extra fusebox in the body of the tailgate itself where these are, but as each of these plugs is on a short lead at either side of the tailgate, no way they would have reached a single common fusebox. Hmm.

1 hour ago, PZero said:

Maybe? Not encountered a powered tailgate in the flesh, but would have expected the 'doing' parts of it to be up in the roof / hinge area. Maybe it requires some extra fusebox in the body of the tailgate itself where these are, but as each of these plugs is on a short lead at either side of the tailgate, no way they would have reached a single common fusebox. Hmm.

Apparently on the powered option there were tilt sensors in the tailgate to judge position, so maybe for those.

• Like 1

At first I thought that might be it from Ivans diagram, but wrong place. This connector is at the top of the tailgate, that sensor is at the bottom (locations in relation to the tailgate when closed). No way this connector would reach that far down.

Oh well, whatever it was 'meant' to plug into obviously isn't present in my car, so perhaps I'll see if I can tap it up for power. 

Ta!

Edited by PZero

Based on the wring colouring I'd say it was just a multiple grounding point, providing earth for various tailgate electrics and taking a single larger wire to the main body.

From colouration, I'd be inclined to agree. But not actually connected to anything including the body, and no appropriate connector type anywhere nearby that I can find. That connector on both sides is just folded back against the loom and was strapped to it with fabric tape (which was very old and crumbled as I groped around for these fellas!).

• 1 month later...