Forum 5

So, erm yeh, I did a thing...

duncan-uk

That car is a cracking buy Duncan.  I think Italian cars look so much better a lefties too - all adds to the attraction.

There was a small car dealership near the village where I grew up in Ireland, and at the time, they were Alfa Romeo dealers.  I remember the 33 when it was brand new, and they had two at one point - one red, one white.  Lovely things.  A neighbour of mine had an Alfasud 1.5 Ti from them - cracking little car.

• Like 1

Until the Portuguese authoroties accept that the car has been officially reregistered in the UK keep an eye on the timescale for renewal of the IUC (Portuguese road tax). This is related to the date of first registration and if you do not renew within the prescribed period the local tax office will apply a fine.

• Thanks 1

On 23/08/2023 at 15:43, Calypso-E34 said:

That car is a cracking buy Duncan.  I think Italian cars look so much better a lefties too - all adds to the attraction.

There was a small car dealership near the village where I grew up in Ireland, and at the time, they were Alfa Romeo dealers.  I remember the 33 when it was brand new, and they had two at one point - one red, one white.  Lovely things.  A neighbour of mine had an Alfasud 1.5 Ti from them - cracking little car.

Yeh it’s a fun little thing. Yes it’s not perfect and has had some paint but it’s very clean and worn it’s years well. Interior is amazing.

It's the old cliche of MOT tester commenting how nice it was underneath was pleasing, but he really did. 

Waiting on registration docs now before I can drive it. 

Still waiting, keep forgetting i own it - want to give it a service but would rather that was on my own drive than at my mums as i will invariable need a tool thats at the back of the garage!

Will be giving it a good wash and polish as its in the local show this weekend.

Grr DVLA for some reason they want a manufacturer certificate to issue a V5 - seems date of first registration is not enough..

In discussion with alfa customer service - annoying - i actually want to drive it and do some fettling before selling!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow... an Alfa 33.. been a long time since I seen one. It's a shame it's a LHD....

Still luvving it tho.

The problem with the AR33 is that it's not an (alfa)sud. However, it nonetheless is an Alfa romeo and all the positives and some negatives that come with that. Still looking great after all these years in a lovely subtle colour. The one thing I've always admired with alfa romeo is the fact that they do cars 'their' way particularly with styling. Absolutely didn't care what other manufacturers were up to. Also up until the FIAT take over, they were mechanically superior to most cars on the road. I for one, don't always buy Into 'german' car is automatically better idea either.

IMO italian auto makers can rarely face-lift their models without kinda ruining them for some reason although the 33 was an exception to my eyes. Your example being a late model face-lifted series 1.

Good luck with it. Pity it's got to go. A nice piece of automotive history even if not quite as good as its illustrious forbear. 

Thing is it’s quite dainty and visibility is good so LHD isn’t such an issue. The way I see it it’s a clean and solid 33 so if you want to rebuild one this might be the start point. They seem to be rare as with 34 of all variants (S1,2 & 3) left according to how many left!

Agree the facelifted (post 89) is not as good looking - actually turned down an estate version - aesthetically this one is a real grower on me.

It was never about the money it was about the trip and the car was perfect in that way. Very restorative for the soul.

Might try and do some other trips with it whilst I have it as it’s not really costing me much but it was never a keeper.

You never know I might do the trip again with something else. 

I'm definitely not looking at lancia deltas or Alfa 155s or anything like that…

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Woo! and indeed bloody Hoo! finally got a registration number - still waiting on V5 but plates will be ordered!

DVLA accepted the email from alfa (stellantis) so i could have saved a month trying to get an orginal but after 3&1/2 months we can nearly drive her legally!

Plan is a full fluids service, a good once over, service brakes, fit a USB and a few odds and ends. Polish, polish and polish.

Then a UK road trip and then sell unless my wife has forgotten we own it.

• 2 weeks later...

I did my apprenticeship on these as well as the last Suds in 84/85. I worked for three Alfa dealers in total. Black&White Garage near Newbury, SGT in Taplow and Robinsons in Cambridge. I finished in 1996, by which time the 33 had been replaced by the abysmal 145/146. Fiat based landfill. 

I had lots (LOTS) of these. My favourite initially was the '84 1.5 Green Cloverleaf but those Series 1 cars got very tatty with rust. Series 2 cars were much better. Alfa had learned how to build a decent body shell by '87 and the 75, 164 etc were pretty good. I had a 1.5Ti just like that. The 1.7 was never as nice. The best 33 was the ugly 1990 facelift 1.5ie with the Bosch Motronic (or was it LE Jetronic).  165 tyres, nice ride, Sud-like manners and a revvy jewel of an engine. 

The 33 had a shaky start but were a good car with few issues. That one has shimmed bucket tappets. Carbs suffer blocked idle jets but aren't hard to set up. Cambelts are remarkably easy to replace. Resist the temptation to 'improve' it with uprated suspension. They were fine as standard. 

• Like 2

Thanks Andy. I couldn’t find golden lodge plugs so has a set of NGK. Carb as you say seems quite simple. Managed to get the emissions just about spot on. 

can belt is on list as not old in miles it’s been 7 years. 

rewatched edd do the ‘Sud one and seemed relatively simple. 

suspension wise it’s having new top mounts and friction disc as heavier steering than it should. 

won’t be touching springs and dampers as seemingly unobtainable unless NOS. 

Wow...SGT taplow.... had a few supplied by them...major blast from the past.

Yes, beware on the oil filters... the craftier vendors back in the day would sell you a ford pinto item without the non return valve in place. In all other aspects, they were identical. 

Personally, I preferred the series 2 33's. The injected series 3 ones were good runners but indeed ugly. 

Is it me? I don't think Italian manufacturers face-lift their models very well imo. They seem to lose the purity of the original design, which is usually very good. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sir Anthony Regents Park said:

I'd only use an Alfa one. They have a non return valve - if Alfa still sell them (same as 145 etc) then I'd buy a few just in case. 

Because you're a bully 😉 i've bought an OE one, car wont be mine long enough for another change. Going to do a UK adventure then its off.

Its not a keeper but it has left a deep impression.

• Haha 1