Forum 5

Best upgraded display

NM20

20 minutes ago, skyjawa said:

That seems a lot for the screen fitted.  I paid about 290 for mine from Ali Express for 8core 8gb and 128gb storage. Took me a day to fit including a reverse camera at the same time….

I am not sure I have the time, knowledge or patience. £300 for a days work may be a bit excessive, but if it works and is neat, I am happy. 

I wouldn't go for the MMI box. The labour to install both is not much different. You have to remove the HU to put the interface loom in for either option. At this point taking the screen out is a minor 5 minute job.

£420, fitted, for the MMI box sounds expensive, but if you get peace of mind and the installer sorts out the aggravation  it will give you Car play and Android auto.

Interestingly, I've not seen any feedback from Forum members that have been down this route that could advise about what the usability is like, post installation.

That might be useful, to inform your decision.

I've got both options, but only planning to get the aftermarket screen fitted, once I've sorted the wiring. I'll be doing it to save money.

I think an experienced installer shouldn't need more than 2 hours to install and refit. Software configuration shouldn't be longer than 30 minutes, depending on the options that need setting, plus any updates, etc.

So if it only takes 2 hours and they want £300, that is expensive imo. If it takes 4 hours....more reasonable. Last time I checked  this sort of work was £60/hr.

I had a mmi on my old 335d and it was fine, using Idrive was no bother, but now I have the 12.3” screen I think I would pick this option every time, I do find myself using the touch as it’s generally quicker than via Idrive, however once driving I tend to use the Idrive controller as it’s less distraction trying to hit a touch app button etc while on the move…..

as has been mentioned mine is the big screen that sits out front more like the modern BMWs and I much prefer this and it really modernises the interior imho.

Pics here:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showpost.php?p=30037863&postcount=25

Both very useful points. 

@skyjawa looking at your 12.3” screen, it does look quite neat. It would also reduce the need to have gorilla arms! I will go back to the seller and see what he says about the bigger screen.

I am set on the screen over the MMI box, so thanks for helping me with that decision. 

I may also go back and see if I can get a bit of a discount on the installation, especially if I get the bigger screen.

• 1 month later...

I've finally fitted the Wondefoo Android head unit in my car, that I bought in 2021.

My bespoke wiring loom, similar to the OEM, but 60cm long between quadlock connectors, as opposed to OEM 25cm, did the trick to make it fit.

The display is great, but I've a couple of hurdles to overcome. First, I can't find the passcode for the unit's WiFi (this might be my fault, not the OEM supplier). Secondly the 4G element isn't working. It could be a dodgy socket/pcb, but I'll have to investigate.

You can see in the photo the small fan I retrofitted to the unit, but subsequently disconnected because it was too noisy🤣🤣🙄.

I'll add a photo of the unit fitted to the dash in daylight later.

20230826_102936.jpg

SmartSelect_20230829_012303_WhatsApp.jpg

SmartSelect_20230829_012245_WhatsApp.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth, if you're under 5'10" a touch screen fitted in the dash of an F07, F10, etc. will be too fiddly to use safely whilst driving. I think my 4GB+64GB version is slow. The screen is excellent though, in 1280x480 (idrive mode) and 1980x720 (native Android).

I've not had much opportunity to use mine in anger, but fiddled whilst stationary.

I think they're only useful if you want to have Carplay or Android auto enabled. For this you can use an MMI box which is cheaper, but then you don't get a screen upgrade. There aren't any 'useful' apps ine the google play store, but it's just my personal opinion.

The larger screens that sit proud of the dashboard, similar to OEM screens on newer cars will be easier to use touchwise, but at 12.3" for the same resolution, the pixels will be larger or the dot pitch will be greater, meaning a 12.3" screen will look worse than a 10.25" screen for the same resolution.

If you're opting for an aftermarket solution, choose a 6GB or 8GB version, as it'll be faster than the 4GB version (these are now cheaper and technically obsolete), so have a degree of future proofing. The best processor at the moment is a Snapdragon 662.

Some of the latest units come with fans for cooling. These might be noisy. So worth checking, if you can before buying.

I'll update this if anything noteworthy occurs.