Forum 5

E34 - or E28, E32, E36 wanted

Calypso-E34

I’m looking to buy a nice E34 5 series saloon - something nice with no rust, leaky tanks etc, with a 6 or 8 cylinder engine. Standard car is what I’m after.  

not looking to pay silly money, but maybe up to £4000 for a decent car. 

Would also consider a 6 / 8 cylinder E28, E32, E36 etc. 

anyone got anything for sale?

Edited by Calypso-E34

• Calypso-E34 changed the title to E34 - or E28, E32, E36 wanted
  • 2 weeks later...

Now that's a proper car.

£3000 will not buy an E34 worth having. My mate sold a 1995 520i last month for £2500 and it was no prize - and nowhere near as good as the Orient blue one I sold you in 2017. I bet that's looking a bit frilly now. Most of them are expensive rubbish from what I've seen, non stop money pits. 

E32's are cheaper but they are on the cusp of becoming a pain in the arse to get parts for. I wouldn't entertain any of them for the current asking prices.

15 minutes ago, Sir Anthony Regents Park said:

Now that's a proper car.

My mate sold a 1995 520i last month for £2500 and it was no prize - and nowhere near as good as the Orient blue one I sold you in 2017. I bet that's looking a bit frilly now.

Looks like it passed an MOT in January with no advisories, so someone must be looking after it!

3 minutes ago, E39mad said:

Miss my E36 328i which sold last month.

That saloon looks tidy and is the right colour for you Mark...lol

Yours was lovely Rupert - really a credit to you.  That saloon is nice - needs a few bits and pieces - but it's 600 miles away in Southampton.

I think I might wait until winter / early spring and see what happens.  I don't feel good about taking advantage of someone else's misfortune, but with the cost of living crisis and interest rates soaring, it may be that some will want to get the summer out of their modern classics and then move them on.  I'm not in any mad hurry - we are doing some bits and pieces with the house right now - doors, floors etc, plus I still have the bike - although not many miles are going on it at the moment - and a push bike, with no miles at all going on it!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Calypso-E34 said:

I think I might wait until winter / early spring and see what happens.  I don't feel good about taking advantage of someone else's misfortune, but with the cost of living crisis and interest rates soaring, it may be that some will want to get the summer out of their modern classics and then move them on.  

I'm not sure classics will drop in the winter (maybe convertibles) as people with cash to spare are now looking to put their money somewhere and classic cars has been predicted by many advisors as one potential route. I think mainstream 2nd hand cars will drop in value or hope they do as I am looking to change towards the end of the year. Having said that new cars keep going up in price due to inflation which bolsters the used values.

Neighbour has just bought a 911 Carrera 4S manual as a 2nd car - 996 version and says he will not loose money on it and hopefully it will go up in value

20 minutes ago, E39mad said:

I'm not sure classics will drop in the winter (maybe convertibles) as people with cash to spare are now looking to put their money somewhere and classic cars has been predicted by many advisors as one potential route.

Neighbour has just bought a 911 Carrera 4S manual as a 2nd car - 996 version and says he will not loose money on it and hopefully it will go up in value

High end cars maybe - but I don't know about the lower end 'Modern classic' car.  Buying them is fine, but you've also got to insure, tax and maintain them, all of which comes out of any uplift in value you may get.  I think at this end, they are still bought for enjoyment rather than investment.  I would go higher with my purchase price for the right car mind you. 

We'll see what's about later in the year.  I might look into an old W123 Mercedes too.  

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Calypso-E34 said:

Too much work for me I think. 

Years ago when I bought my E34 touring I had for 9 years (previous car to current E39) I considered these 530i V8s but chose a 525i due to the nice i6 engine. Largest I6 available at that time.

I couldn't see the point of extra complexity of a V8 for only 25 more HP.  

540i E34 with 100hp or so more than the 525i would be a better proposition I would say.

On 30/07/2023 at 09:30, Dbcrd said:

Years ago when I bought my E34 touring I had for 9 years (previous car to current E39) I considered these 530i V8s but chose a 525i due to the nice i6 engine. Largest I6 available at that time.

I couldn't see the point of extra complexity of a V8 for only 25 more HP.  

540i E34 with 100hp or so more than the 525i would be a better proposition I would say.

I would buy the 3.0 V8 manual Touring and just sit and wait for any 540i to be broken. Ok, you may not get the hallowed six speed gearbox but with so many more autos being made you have a good chance of making a 5 speed manual 540i Touring for pretty much buttons.

• Like 1

SO

I've made a deal on a nice car - but not any of the cars I mentioned!!

I've bought a 1998 BMW Z3 roadster.  Just the 1.9 M44, as that's all I need really.  HUGE history file, and loads of relevant recent work.  Nothing to do except drive and enjoy.  I didn't have to spend silly money to buy it either.  

I'll put a few pics up when I pick the car up.

• Like 2

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.