Forum 5

BWM F11 Roof bar compatibility and Old v New Thule bars.

Hi guys, I’m looking for some roof bar advice.

My in-laws have an older Thule Alpine 500 roof box which I’m thinking of using for a road trip in a few weeks. We did it last summer and the F11 was uncomfortably rammed including the dog and daughter.

I just checked out the roof bars which came off a Volvo V70 and are a no go for a BMW swap over. They are Thule 1054 from circa 2000 on an older ‘closed bar’ design, so no direct swap over of feet/clamps available due to a redesign of the straight bars. Basically I want to use the old bar and attach F11 clamps to it. Struggling to see a way to do it though as new clamps need the newer ‘open bottom’ bar.

See pics for old v new bar styles D51B3A9F-8E63-46B9-A846-202A3145484D.thumb.jpeg.da3af80bce8824998dfb2710c0941034.jpeg

Old slide through style V new slide under style.F8A166D3-D189-45C0-9465-2C504848026E.jpeg.8f8d2e062c3e63fb282f708a6374494a.jpeg

So I suppose my question is is there a new style clamp to fit the standard old bar? Or am I buying a new(second hand) Thule bar and clamp set for my F11

Finally does anyone know if the Genuine BMW bars for a E61 will go on the F11 as I’ve seen plenty available near me on Facebook Marketplace but none for my F11.

Cheers.

Edited by AndrewToo

6 hours ago, Andrew said:

Get one of these

Lush. Could put the dog in it. I regularly used to see a farm worker training up a Collie pup, on my way to work, being transported to and fro on one like that. It had a wee hutch for shelter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndrewToo said:

Lush. Could put the dog in it. I regularly used to see a farm worker training up a Collie pup, on my way to work, being transported to and fro on one like that. It had a wee hutch for shelter.

I keep telling @duncan-uk that he can put his dog in a trailer, but he doesn't listen to me....