Forum 5

520d orange engine light came on today

The orange engine light came on today on my 2019 520d. Anyone got any pointers as to what it may be? I've tried google but it's mainly coming up with symptoms for all cars and not specific to BMW.

I've got the extended warranty, fully comp with £250 excess that i've never had to use before. Just reading the policy now and it states i'm responsible for any diagnostics. 

Do extended warranty deal with independents? I'd much rather pay an indy for a diagnostic at half the price if it's something or nothing especially if it's a glitch and it just needs the code clearing.

The car's running perfectly fine.

Get the codes read.......it could be any number of things causing it - serious or not. 

Get yourself a C110+ which is a specific code reader for BMW's and should give more detail on what the fault is. The cost of buying it is the cost of 1 x code read at any garage. 

It won’t “just be a glitch” and any other ideas will be just that.  As mentioned, getting fault codes read is the only way to start the troubleshooting. 

Has your car had the recall done for the EGR valve/cooler? That is one of a multitude of possibilities that will cause the engine management light to glow.

Could be a number of things. In my case it was the EGR valve but the codes weren't specific enough to point to that. I changed the MAF sensor first as the codes were something along the lines of an implausibility in the air flow. Eventually noticed some leakage around the EGR valve and after a couple of hours of swearing and knuckle scraping, swapped it out and the problem was solved. Your issue may be something else of course but I would check for leakage around the valve.