Forum 5

Vibration through seat between 60-70mph

Any else had this.  I am unsure whether its an issue with a knackered wheel, a bush or something else.  When driving, the car between 60-70, I can feel a noticeable vibration through my backside.  Nothing on the steering wheel.  I am already going to replace the wheels anyway as 20's are too big for an SE, but do I have worn bushes as well or another issue.

A full suspension refresh is also being considered to drop the car a little to have it sitting nicer on the 19's that are going on the car.

Good luck with this, the F10/F11 seems to be notorious for it... 

I have a vibration that starts to be noticeable just over 70mph and doesn't go away with speed. It is felt through the seat, can sometimes see the passenger headrest shaking.

So far I have rebalanced all four wheels, swapped them front to back, no difference. Replaced all the dampers, all the front control arms, gearbox mount, new clutch/flywheel, rear propshaft guibo and differential bushes!

I think it might be the propshaft itself so I've got a second hand lower mileage one arriving shortly from Germany. Going to try that and hope it finally cures the issue. 

6 hours ago, Steve84N said:

Good luck with this, the F10/F11 seems to be notorious for it... 

I have a vibration that starts to be noticeable just over 70mph and doesn't go away with speed. It is felt through the seat, can sometimes see the passenger headrest shaking.

So far I have rebalanced all four wheels, swapped them front to back, no difference. Replaced all the dampers, all the front control arms, gearbox mount, new clutch/flywheel, rear propshaft guibo and differential bushes!

I think it might be the propshaft itself so I've got a second hand lower mileage one arriving shortly from Germany. Going to try that and hope it finally cures the issue. 

Not so easy with a staggered set 🙂  Its almost on 100K now so I am expecting some worn items and its only started in the last few hundred miles.

10 minutes ago, Matt said:

How easy would it be to identify that as failing?

You can't see it without dropping the exhaust and heatshields but then you can take off the two bolts and give it a spin plus inspect the rubber. Sometimes they fall apart. 

Mine's on 95k miles and is a 2011 so I've been assuming pretty much everything would benefit from replacement. 

10 hours ago, Matt said:

How easy would it be to identify that as failing?

Sometimes its the bearing that fails in a similar way like a wheel bearing, increased noise and a bit of vibration as the bearings have worn.

Usually its the resilient rubber mount that tears itself apart.

As @Steve84N says it's not that easy to check without removing the exhaust and heatshield, but after that it's quite easy.  Grasp the shaft either side of the centre bearing and see if you can wiggle it in any radial direction. High mileage cars/frequent full throttle take offs will take their toll on the rubber mount.

Here is a picture of a scrap F20 prop (that @VPCAPTAIN bought to play with) showing the centre bearing and rubber mount after first splitting the shaft into two parts.

IMG-4308.jpg

IMG-4303.jpg

IMG-4310.jpg

Don't know if its relevant to this discussion, but found out the passenger coil spring had snapped.  Might explain why it was pulling to one side a bit, but not the vibration.

Now I have a decision to make on whether to stay OEM or lower it a little bit as I do feel it sits a bit high on the wheels at the moment.

Help 🙂

If you are going to do coil spring yourself, invest in a proper set of spring compressors

80-B87-B10-39-F6-4-E71-A380-2-D1-EB74327

The front coils need an almighty compression (look how close the coils are) on them to fit them to the shock.

Hey Andrew, I'm not doing it, the car would end up like a crab !!  I just spoke with the garage and its 142 quid an axle to do and I was looking at the EIbach kits here

Eibach Shop - The World's No. 1 Springs Manufacturer

I don't understand the differences between the two kits though, can you help?  Both state they fit my car as long as it doesn't have levelling control, which I don't think mine has.

Yep, called them and they said the same thing.  Got it resolved now and ordered kit E10-20-022-01-22 for the car.  My axle loads are 1100kg front and 1275kg rear.  Writing this out just in case I forget next time 🙂

Quite looking forward to seeing how it sits once all this done.  

Thanks for the advice.

• Like 1

Axle weights are in the data plate on the drivers door cill. 

Springs are a nightmare to source as BMW uses so many part numbers which aren’t easily accessible. 

I bought genuine springs so I had the part numbers so next time I used these part numbers on Spring manufacture websites to cross reference. Can’t recall now but one of my springs is the same as a 525d. 

If you have lots of options on the car, there may be a difference in part numbering for springs.

But if you are a fat bastar…. or a skinny weed, any difference on springing rates will be wiped out due to the changes in weight of the driver.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 26/05/2023 at 15:37, Matt said:

Yep, called them and they said the same thing.  Got it resolved now and ordered kit E10-20-022-01-22 for the car.  My axle loads are 1100kg front and 1275kg rear.  Writing this out just in case I forget next time 🙂

Quite looking forward to seeing how it sits once all this done.  

Thanks for the advice.

Let me know how you get on. 

I had the same kit fitted to mine. 

No real noticeable difference to ride height, if yours is already M sport, but night and day difference to handling. Feels planted.

Eibach call them replacement springs. 

A relative fitted the eibach pro kit on their 640d M sport, and said the same thing, looked stock but the drive was much more sporty. 

Edited by RH27

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/06/2023 at 17:47, RH27 said:

Let me know how you get on. 

I had the same kit fitted to mine. 

No real noticeable difference to ride height, if yours is already M sport, but night and day difference to handling. Feels planted.

Eibach call them replacement springs. 

A relative fitted the eibach pro kit on their 640d M sport, and said the same thing, looked stock but the drive was much more sporty. 

Mine is an SE so its been a noticeable difference.  The car feels a lot more planted, it almost feels solid like my old E39.  Combined with the new wheels, it actually rides properly.  I think my issue was my old wheels as I had them checked and one of them is a bit less round than the other three.

IMG_0735.JPEG

IMG_0736.JPEG

IMG_0737.JPEG

• Like 1