Forum 5

Manual/auto carpet differences?

sutts

Are there any significant differences in the main carpet section for an auto and a manual RHD E28? I suspect there may be some minor ones in the transmission tunnel cut outs, but would this cause issues in fitting an ‘auto’ carpet to a manual car once the centre console and gear lever surrounds were back in place? Thanks.

I have not had a carpet out yet but have seen several comments relating to how awkward it is to free up / replace the carpet from the center console area under the dash.

I believe the gear leaver and handbrake cut-outs in the transmission tunnel are common to both manual and automatic cars so the carpet is likely common to both.

Have you got back into another E28?

Best regards,

Mick

2 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

you’ll have seen this Mick? IIRC it’s the soundproofing that’s the pain. 

Hi Duncan,

I have now, thank you 👍

Best regards,

Mick

Sorry there are no pictures I retrieved what i could, text being better than nothing and wanted to try and save some knowledge.

If I recall the sound deadening is the pig behind the heater box and I cut mine as you will never see it but imagine these days you would avoid that!