Forum 5

Any electric razor experts here?

Calypso-E34

Long shot this!  I have an ancient Philishave 990.  I think I’ve had it since the late 80s or early 90s - can’t remember exactly. 

I’ve had a few newer electric razors over the years, but none as good as this one. As a result, I’ve replaced the rechargeable batteries twice, and the blades a couple of times too, but I think both need done again. 

Maybe it’s time to consider replacing it again. Can anyone recommend something that might be the equal of this old stager?

fancy gadgets not required. 

AF93ED80-225B-4834-AE49-320B6DC2DE57.jpeg

F6B1FEDC-DDD7-4BD8-A96A-93DBB680B4CA.jpeg

3 hours ago, Calypso-E34 said:

Long shot this!  I have an ancient Philishave 990.  I think I’ve had it since the late 80s or early 90s - can’t remember exactly. 

I’ve replaced the rechargeable batteries twice, and the blades a couple of times too, but I think both need done again. 

Reminded me of "Trigger's Broom" :classic_laugh:

Best regards,

Mick

If you can change the blades and batteries, why do you want to change  is the motor failing?

I've been a lifelong Phillishave user so probably biased🤣. Phillishave shavers are quite expensive these days, as are the replacement heads. Still, I suppose, if you shave daily and get 20 years plus use out of a shaver (like maybe some BMWs?), it works out at a few pence per shave per day.....

In some respects, you get what you pay for. Phillishave shavers range in cost from £80 - £500(!). The higher the cost, usually have better blade / head designs. However  I think it ludicrous to pay £000s for a shaver, mind you, as we live in a world with Dyson hair dryers and hoovers costing nearly half a grand, it must be the new reality. I wish my salary kept pace with household goods🤣🤣🤣

I think people generally like a type of shaver……being a BMW fan I used a Braun 5 series for about 10 years but recently ‘upgraded’ to a 7 series…..I had Boots points to use! Tbh it’s no better than the old 5 series but both give a good smooth shave.

• Like 1

I have a Braun 9 Series, I’ve had Philishave before, but went back to wet shaving, then decided to try again and the 9 series is the first one for me that’s got close to the feeling of smoothness after a wet shave I’ve ever had from an electric.

however, not cheap, and it’s recommended to replace the head every year or so (which I did recently and it made a massive difference to the shave, comfort and finish)