Forum 5

My F11 has acted as a skip for 18 months

E39mad

Firstly great to see the forum back up and running. Thanks to those behind the scenes to make it happen.

Still running the F11 - we will have had it 9 years next month and it will be 12 years old in December. Just about to tick over 85000 miles. Still a great long distance cruiser.

More recently we have been building a new house within the garden of our existing property so the F11 had been put to good use going down to the local tips with any waste. A splendid job it does too. Will be finished shortly so will give the interior a proper clean with gliptone and the outside can wait for a detail next spring.

For those who understand construction house is built out of ICF (insulated concrete formwork) - in our case polystyrene blocks with 65mm before concrete (150 or 200mm thick) then another 65mm of polystyrene. We poured the concrete floor by floor. Stone or block work (now rendered) added. Steel warm roof. Under floor heating and no holes or trickle vents making it as air tight as possible so a MVHR unit has been put in (mechanical ventilation and heat recovery system).

Integral garage for the E36 is 1m wider and 1.5m longer than a std single garage to allow for storage and the convertible.

Anyway here are some shots:

New ICF blocks.jpg

New build digging out.jpg

New build genie lift steels Dec 2021.jpg

New build front June 2022.jpg

20220902_135148.thumb.jpg.8d2c08cc86bd7f1e1199e99f93309976.jpg.bc1d4b3f47bacfff35b514f1d78b57e2.jpg20220902_135212.thumb.jpg.04d53fdbc8eb9ca7a3c0eb23e8558d18.jpg.b6b3c2213306aa7ee45c9ee950e5484b.jpg

• Like 1

ICF is Warmerwall by Polysteel @duncan-uk

https://polysteel.co.uk/

Not designed to passiv haus stds but purely as well insulated and air tight as possible. No trickle vents nor log burner/open fire. Triple glazed apart from the sliders. 

Costs including everything (services, professional fees, landscaping etc) should come in at just over £2000/m2 - not bad for what I would deem to be a high end finish. Budget was £1750/m2 so pretty pleased really considering the increased cost of materials etc

I have project managed. Drop by if you heading up this way.

• 1 month later...

Updating this thread. We and E36 have moved in a few weeks ago. Sold the old house adjacent which completed on Friday. Happy days!

No heating required yet being a massively insulated and relatively airtight house.

Here's some recent shots:

E36 new garage.jpg

New build patio.jpg

New Build side Oct 22.jpg

Edited by E39mad
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/11/2022 at 09:14, Syncrofred said:

Hi Rupert, been a while!  Like the look of your new house. Did you contact Kevin Mcloud?  Or is your house too sensible for GD?

Hi Fred, indeed. Hope all is well with you.

Whilst we watch Grand Designs we know that they always chose a build that could have jeopardy somewhere for Kevin to look into the camera before the break and question what these self builders are doing!! I don't think we'd get on the series as there was no jeopardy to speak of. Mostly a smooth but extremely tiring and absorbing process.

Cheers

Edited by E39mad

I love the house, looks very modern and sleek. Not that I've ever had the opportunity to do it but building your own hose from scratch must be very satisfying. But... the poor F11 needs to sleep outside, where's its garage??

8 hours ago, Matthew said:

I love the house, looks very modern and sleek. Not that I've ever had the opportunity to do it but building your own hose from scratch must be very satisfying. But... the poor F11 needs to sleep outside, where's its garage??

We downsized and the plot only had room for one integral garage (albeit an oversized one) - had I sold one or two children we would have had room for at least a double or more 😁

1 hour ago, E39mad said:

We downsized and the plot only had room for one integral garage (albeit an oversized one) - had I sold one or two children we would have had room for at least a double or more 😁

I'm all for selling the children to get more garage space 🙂 ... But my wife stopped me!

Edited by Matthew
  • Haha 1

Very nice looking house! 

Im thinking about a double storey rear extension and loft conversion on my own home and started discussions with a couple of local architects to gauge costs  & feasibility. How did you decide/get to the £1750-£2000 m2?

So far 2 local architects have quoted £2k & £5k for their services/drawings/planning submissions. 1 seems cheap whilst the other seems high?

Any thoughts appreciated

Depends what service they offer i'd suggest or if its even like for like.

Anyone can draw plans but they're not all the same.

I see many "architectural services" offered which means they're not architects - its a legally protected title - but people say "Architect" often for any one who draws plans.

*steps off soap box...

12 hours ago, E39-Man said:

Very nice looking house! 

Im thinking about a double storey rear extension and loft conversion on my own home and started discussions with a couple of local architects to gauge costs  & feasibility. How did you decide/get to the £1750-£2000 m2?

So far 2 local architects have quoted £2k & £5k for their services/drawings/planning submissions. 1 seems cheap whilst the other seems high?

Any thoughts appreciated

Thanks. 

We were not on a fixed price contract with the builder and we added some things/did not compromise on the fabric of the house so costs went up. 

As for architects we had 5 round to discuss our desire to build a house. I had a pretty clear idea of what we wanted (having lived on the plot for 21 years) but only one architect seemed to understand what we wanted and not what they thought was ideal for the plot. They got the job and also happened to be the most competitive.