Forum 5

E34 touring tailgate glass actuator confusion

steveeeee

My tailgate glass won't open (tale as old as time...). I'm pretty sure the wiring is good and the main lock actuator works fine.  I got the inner plastic panel off and was having a poke around inside today and found a second actuator up by the glass latch, which isn't listed on realoem.  The page for Central Locking System shows only one actuator on the tailgate and that's for the main trunk lock (the middle handle): https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=HG62-EUR-04-1995-E34-BMW-520i&diagId=41_0838#67118360225

I took a picture of the part, attached.  The label says it's 67118360193.  If i search for this on realoem it says this belongs on a Z8!  Google suggests it only comes as part of the whole glass latch assembly.  Have any of you had to replace this thing?  should I just buy another one and see what happens?

20230416_145251.jpg

Edited by steveeeee

• 2 months later...

Ive just replaced the LHS loom on my 94 touring, hoping it would fix the main tailgate release being inop, however it made no difference!  (It did help cure a number of messages re inactive lights at the rear)

Glass operation is via the right hand side loom, worth checking for cracks, splits etc.

My problem was with the tailgate lock microswitch - you can test yours by jumping the terminals of the connector that the microswitch attaches to.  If this opens the tailgate window, you can replace the microswitch.

Ive just replaced the LHS loom on my 94 touring, hoping it would fix the main tailgate release being inop, however it made no difference!  (It did help cure a number of messages re inactive lights at the rear)

Glass operation is via the right hand side loom, worth checking for cracks, splits etc.

My problem was with the tailgate lock microswitch - you can test yours by jumping the terminals of the connector that the microswitch attaches to.  If this opens the tailgate window, you can replace the microswitch.

ETA - I think could be part 6 in the link

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E34-Touring/Europe/525i-M50/R-A/nov1994/browse/bodywork/trunk_lid_closing_system/