Forum 5

520i Touring. Who's paying this much?

1 hour ago, Dbcrd said:

Did you end up selling your sport touring 4aceman?  Better car I would say except for the rear wiper delete and I recall you were asking a lot less.

Yup, got £2200 for it and a free alignment. It was a really nice car but had 2 Cat Ns form the front bumper being damaged - made it a pain to sell.

1 hour ago, Dbcrd said:

Good luck with your E46.  Hope you stay on the forum anyway as you provide good advice.

Thanks mate, it sold a while ago now and I'm still sticking around!

Got a fair few jobs done on my E46. Thought if I'm keeping it a bit longer might as well make it a little nicer!

• 7 months later...
On 16/11/2023 at 23:46, 4aceman said:

Another delusional one!

Asking M5 money for a 540. 16K 🤯

https://www.facebook.com/share/abixPrBPXfSTx1PN/?mibextid=79PoIi

Reduced by a grand already.

Looks to have been off the road for a couple of years or MOT history is missing.  From MOT data, new buyer might have to also fork out for 2 new tyres unless they have been changed.

That money should buy a rust free Japanese import when they crop up -  with change and half the mileage.

Description scant, given the asking price.  Owner hasn't had it that long and no mention at all of any history.  Not inspiring, in my opinion.

That sort of money could buy something like this:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/vauxhall/bmw-alpina-4.6-v8-b10-e39-low-mileage-1-of-151-ever-built-last-ever-built/1441321537

Edited by Dbcrd

6 hours ago, Dbcrd said:

Reduced by a grand already.

Looks to have been off the road for a couple of years or MOT history is missing.  From MOT data, new buyer might have to also fork out for 2 new tyres unless they have been changed.

That money should buy a rust free Japanese import when they crop up -  with change and half the mileage.

Description scant, given the asking price.  Owner hasn't had it that long and no mention at all of any history.  Not inspiring, in my opinion.

That sort of money could buy something like this:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/vauxhall/bmw-alpina-4.6-v8-b10-e39-low-mileage-1-of-151-ever-built-last-ever-built/1441321537

Yup reduced it within 12 hours of posting the ad. Such a shame because it's a spec I'm looking for but the price is around twice what it's worth! 😞

I'd love an alpina but no doubt it'll be a nightmare getting one insured 

There are two different rhd B10 3.3 E39 Alpinas on Car and Classic for less money than that 540i -the B10 3.3 has 540i performance with a straight six howl. They won't be as rapid as a B10 V8 or V8S but they're still special cars to drive and own.

Edited by Sharkfan

32 minutes ago, Dbcrd said:

Compare with this.  Less than half the mileage and from a dealer still much less money.

https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1519799

I wonder where people get these pricing ideas from.

Not sure why that one says m-sport... There's a big price difference between m-sport and SE cars for the E39s. I get why personally, I'd happily fork over an extra k or 2 for the m-sport.

I think people get the idea in their head that if it's rare it must be worth something. It's really not. M5 money for a 540i is delusion. I saw on another 540i ad with the selling point it's "even rarer than the M5"

• 4 months later...
On 16/11/2023 at 23:46, 4aceman said:

Another delusional one!

Asking M5 money for a 540. 16K 🤯

https://www.facebook.com/share/abixPrBPXfSTx1PN/?mibextid=79PoIi

4 months later, still for sale & dropped to 13K!

And still really want it 😄. Maybe I'll go and lowball him a bit. What's a car like this worth, realistically?

2 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

As much as you’ll pay. Condition of shell and history need to be spot on for big cash

I’ll probably go view the car and take it for a test drive. Haven’t driven a manual since passing my test so might be a bit embarrassing 😆

The steering box of the 540i is putting me off it a bit. Steering feel is one of the most important things to me in a car, one reason I love my E46 so much.

However, I don’t think a manual 530i with this colour and spec will come up for sale anytime soon. Let’s see!