Forum 5

Head unit to CID - which cable?

I'm having ongoing issues getting the central information display on my ex police G31 to work reliably. When I got the car, the screen had been relocated under the centre armrest, with the original LVDS cable extended to facilitate this. I bought an Android MMI box and 10.2" screen as an upgrade for the Basic Media 2 head unit (no sat nav) and 8.8" screen.

After installing the MMI box and coding the bigger display, I got a black screen and then discovered that the LVDS cable cable supplied with the box had different pin out assignments to the original cable (I believe it is for F series cars). Using the original cable gave a 'No signal' message instead, which led me to believe the bigger display was either incompatible, or coded wrong, so I reverted to the smaller display and it has been working to a degree, although the image keeps breaking up and 'No signal ' appears sometimes. Flexing the LVDS cable where it is joined seemed to make things worse, so I resoldered the connections and it's even worse now! There is still continuity between the pins at each end of the cable, but it has suffered a lot of trauma due to the whole installation being removed and reinstalled so many times and I have no idea how voltage differential signalling works, so probably best to just get a new cable.

Realoem suggests I need part no 6832083, but I can't find a source anywhere. 9395513, 6991466 and 6832032 all look similar with varying lengths which doesn't matter. I know I need connector A4225B head unit to A121B CID, but the orientation of the cable relative to the connector must also be correct to enable the connectors to plug in without fouling adjacent ones.

Does anyone here know which cable they have, or can you advise how to fix or modify one?

• 2 weeks later...