Forum 5

London Ultra Low Emission Zone

n336

My only car is a much loved long term friend 1996 E39 with 80k history and  is now just for my occasional pensioner use but  I am dreading the expansion of the ULEZ zone to outer London in August just at the wrong time when cost of living is squeezing us to death while new or used car prices are at all time high. What do others in similar position plan to do , apart from hopelessly trying to fight the Mayor's   greedy expansion plan?

30 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

Have you checked if your car is compliant? The 530d isnt but 530i is for example - as such upu might be ok?

None of the M52 engines are ULEZ compliant unfortunately 😞, not even the M52TU

Only M54 onwards is compliant, from 2000

19 minutes ago, JohnH said:

Dont you only get clobbered if you pass into the Khant zone, so things have only got better, as its a bigger zone?

Just taking the p1ss. 

No you get charge every day you are driving in it. It is not a case of pay to get in then drive around for a week!

15 hours ago, Stressed said:

No you get charge every day you are driving in it. It is not a case of pay to get in then drive around for a week!

How do they know that you are a person of interest. So you drive into the zone, park your car off the road in your driveway and dont use it for the 6 months of winter and they charge you every day?  

Just now, JohnH said:

How do they know that you are a person of interest. So you drive into the zone, park your car off the road in your driveway and dont use it for the 6 months of winter and they charge you every day?  

You don’t have to pay when you’re on a driveway. Just for every day you actually drive and the cameras on the street can catch you

50 minutes ago, dj123 said:

ANPR cameras. It's not rocket science.....

Residents within the area get a discounted daily rate

Live in the area and can confirm we do not get a discount 😞 

My dad had to park across the street and walk a few minutes home as live right on the border. He actually found a nice spot to park right under the ANPR camera 😄 

3 minutes ago, 4aceman said:

Live in the area and can confirm we do not get a discount 😞 

My dad had to park across the street and walk a few minutes home as live right on the border. He actually found a nice spot to park right under the ANPR camera 😄 

are they discontinuing it? used to be a £1 a day charge for residents - unless that was only an interim support mechanism 

Edited by dj123

1 hour ago, dj123 said:

are they discontinuing it? used to be a £1 a day charge for residents - unless that was only an interim support mechanism 

I think the exemption is for the congestion charge. For ULEZ it'll kind of defeat the purpose - they want residents to get rid off the old polluters for newer cars.

Only exception is disabled badge holders have an exemption for a few years.

I live in the outer zone which is soon to start charging, The cameras are being installed everywhere. It obviously is going ahead  from late August  as planned short of a legal miracle to slow it down. So looks like  I'll  have to severely ration my car use and therefore the question is: Apart form the battery charge issue does the E39 need to be driven around  a minimum of few miles every couple of weeks or so "just to keep its joints active and blood flowing" ? If so I have to find  a very local neighbourhood exercise route without any cameras and budget an extra £12.50 on top of the food bill on the main supermarket shop day😥😪

This has nothing to do with clean air and everything to do with fleecing us for as much as they can. 

Khan thinks sticking cameras around London will suddenly clean up the air, which in comparison to the rest of the world, is absolutely fine. TfL always runs at a huge loss and needs money from somewhere. It's also not just an extra tax on your car but also on everything you buy and hire. Want a tradesmen? He's going to suddenly charge you £££ more because he had to sell his reliable diesel van and buy an electric Chinese POS. 

Khan is a Grade A tosspot. Labour's green obsession is going to stop the economy growing. Want to vote Starmer? Take a look at London and Wales, that's what will be coming with a new Labour Government. 

Edited by Piper

On 03/04/2023 at 12:10, 4aceman said:

None of the M52 engines are ULEZ compliant unfortunately 😞, not even the M52TU

Only M54 onwards is compliant, from 2000

Thanks 4aceman. Is this when the E39 also had a mid life face lift  and the front orange indicators were replaced by white ones etc?

3 hours ago, n336 said:

Thanks 4aceman. Is this when the E39 also had a mid life face lift  and the front orange indicators were replaced by white ones etc?

I believe so, when the badge switched from 523/528i to 525/530i for the new engines too. 

On 05/04/2023 at 18:46, Piper said:

This has nothing to do with clean air and everything to do with fleecing us for as much as they can. 

Khan thinks sticking cameras around London will suddenly clean up the air, which in comparison to the rest of the world, is absolutely fine. TfL always runs at a huge loss and needs money from somewhere. It's also not just an extra tax on your car but also on everything you buy and hire. Want a tradesmen? He's going to suddenly charge you £££ more because he had to sell his reliable diesel van and buy an electric Chinese POS. 

Khan is a Grade A tosspot. Labour's green obsession is going to stop the economy growing. Want to vote Starmer? Take a look at London and Wales, that's what will be coming with a new Labour Government. 

There’s more to it than just blaming Khan/Labour. The Tories are fine with writing down £4bn covid grants/loans but won’t provide funding to tfl when they clearly need it because people are using public transport less. Bojo wrecked havoc on TfL’s spending which Khan nearly stabilised but the pandemic scuppered his efforts. Khan asked the Gov for support, they provided some but not all. 

Ulez 1.0 was the reason I sold my amazing E39 sport, im still gutted three years later!