Forum 5

New Ulez August 2023

As I understand it, the London  Ulez area is being extended in August 2023 and petrol cars will need to comply with Euro 4 emission standards introduced in 2006. So, does this mean that petrol cars registered prior to 2006 (like all BMW E39's) will be non-compliant from Aug 2023 and so liable for the daily Ulez charge? Or, do BMW E39's meet the Euro 4 standards, and so will continue to be exempt from Ulez charges come August 2023?
Can anyone point to official clarification on this? Cheers!

Legally, I think, your car needs to be Euro4 compliant, by standard, e.g. manufacturer stated.

You can check by entering your registration at the following site:

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/check-your-vehicle/

If it says No, then you'll have to pay.

If you've modified the engine, you might be able to get VOSPA? to issue a revised validation certificate, if the vehicle is tested and passes the standard for Euro 4.

Good luck!

1 hour ago, MichaelE39 said:

As I understand it, the London  Ulez area is being extended in August 2023 and petrol cars will need to comply with Euro 4 emission standards introduced in 2006. So, does this mean that petrol cars registered prior to 2006 (like all BMW E39's) will be non-compliant from Aug 2023 and so liable for the daily Ulez charge? Or, do BMW E39's meet the Euro 4 standards, and so will continue to be exempt from Ulez charges come August 2023?
Can anyone point to official clarification on this? Cheers!

IIRC you can contact BMW who can give the official certification of the emission standards the car meets. If they can't you can pay a garage for an official test & certificate of conformity. This is what a lot of older Motorcycle owners are doing to continue using their existing vehicles. 

The 530i will be fine, if it's ULEZ compliant on their website now it will be ULEZ compliant come August for the expansion.

M54 was a damn good engine, met emissions requirements set 5 years after it was first released

Thanks guys for all the info. It's set my mind at rest. Although I don't drive in London, I was concerned that my E39 530i might become difficult to sell, should it come to that sometime. Cheers.

It's different for every vehicle - wife has a 2015 435d which is compliant, and I have the emission certificates from Alpina to make my 2001 4.6 litre petrol and my 1997 5.7 petrol compliant too.

My 1982 635CSi  is compliant through old age as will my M635CSi in a few years. The E34 is not compliant so I guess I won't swan around in that inside the M25.

My only car is a much loved long term friend 1996 E39 with 80k history and  is now just for my occasional pensioner use but  I am dreading the expansion of the ULEZ zone to outer London  where I live in August just at the wrong time when cost of living is squeezing us to death while new or used car prices are at all time high. What do others in similar position plan to do , apart from hopelessly trying to fight the Mayor's   greedy expansion plan?

Edited by n336

• 3 months later...