Forum 5

Walnut blasting intakes?

RH27

Hi guys,

Cars approaching 120k miles and currently working my way through a long list of service items and preventative maintenance. 

Walnut blasting was one I'd considered. I'm being quoted in the region of ££350-£400 inc vat most places around the country. 

I'm sure my intake is clogged up with carbon by now and to help the engine breathe a little better, I'm considering getting this done, but it's not at the top of my list by any means. 

Has anyone done this? 

I know you can DIY remove the manifold and have a go at it with tools, degreaser and a jet wash but removing the intake manifold is a bit beyond my capabilities!T

hanks 

Edited by RH27

Hey, had this done to my F10 530d summer last year by Iridium Independent BMW in Southampton.

The difference was night and day, engine worked much smoother and pick-up was perfect.

No change to fuel consumption, but I wasn't expecting any.

They showed me the valves and they were really clogged up.

There were pictures of my intake manifold on their Facebook page but it seems to be gone now.

• Like 1

You're welcome!

Seems to be, mine came to £430 (£350 walnut blast, £58 intake manifold gaskets, £24 swirl flap delete kit)

The swirl flap delete kit isn't required, the arm which opens them snapped and it was either remove the swirl flaps or buy a new intake manifold 😁