Forum 5

F07N - sunroof blind issues

Hmmn. No sooner have the rear tyres been sorted, but the gods decide on another test. For some inexplicable reason, my 20 year old daughter decided to head butt the panoramic roof with the blind closed, whilst sitting in the OSR passenger seat on Mother's day🙄.

The upshot of this is a mangled blind..its been pulled out of the frame and the steel band edging. Some online research indicates the blind needs to be replaced. I won't waste time with a stealer, so contacted my 2nd choice alternative who quoted £1650 and 2 days to do the job.🤣🤣🤣.

I can get a new sunblind from BMW for £367, so I can't believe that there is more than a day's labour to drop the roof lining and internal frame to replace the sunblind cassette. I'll try my 1st choice, tomorrow, they're based in Dorking....a 2 hour drive from me🤔.

So what are members experience of this kind of problem? (No, not accident prone daughters).

The sunroof blind coming away is a very common issue …… without someone head butting it ! 

Before I bought my GT I did some research on them and found a company called Surrey Sunroofs, seemed to be decent guys and very recommended. They did them in a day for about £500, using OE cartridges but that was over 2 years ago and he had a waiting list of 2 weeks at the time.  Due to the cost etc, providing the mechanism is still fully working, an alternative route many people have gone down is to simply cut off the blind material and get the glass tinted. Personally I leave my blind permanently open anyway as I like the extra light in the car. Mine does work ok , 🤞 , but if it comes away I’m not sure which option I’d take ??? 
Good luck , hope this helps.

It's booked in for a repair with Surrey Sun roofs, but it can't be done until Mid May😞). They're really busy, so probably a good sign they're good at their job. The cost is £765, takes about 4 hours and will include a 2 year guarantee ( Doesn't cover damage by deranged offspring🤣🤣). Painful, but given the genuine part is £367, not bad. Far better than the £1650 quoted by someone else in a different county.

• 1 month later...

Sunroof blind replaced during the week, at Surrey Sunroofs. Andy did a good job and it took him about 4 hours.

It's a pity the blinds are so fragile. Apparently the glue used to hold the fabric to the metal strip, that is effectively a spring, doesn't seem to last. Fingers crossed this blind will last for at least another 5 years.

IMG-20230517-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20230517-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20230517-WA0006.jpg

• Like 3

On 22/05/2023 at 10:09, Kopfjaeger said:

Sunroof blind replaced during the week, at Surrey Sunroofs. Andy did a good job and it took him about 4 hours.

It's a pity the blinds are so fragile. Apparently the glue used to hold the fabric to the metal strip, that is effectively a spring, doesn't seem to last. Fingers crossed this blind will last for at least another 5 years.

What did it cost for the part and fitting?