Forum 5

Good old oil filter housing gasket replacement time

PZero

Oil leak down left side of engine (M54), appears to be coming from higher than sump gasket, but rocker cover not leaking either, so my guess is the seemingly infamous oil filter housing gasket. From previous owners very extensive paperwork doesn't look like it's been done before so even if turns out not to be this, 20 years old and worth doing anyway.

From pre-emptive research online appears kind of straight forward, just a bit long winded in terms of everything to take out to get to it though.

Anyone done this and knows of any potential gotchas, I'd be only too pleased to hear them!

Not too hard of a job at all.

Makes the CCV easier to do once you have alternator etc. off if you want to do that as well.

Not much else to say, loosen oil filter cap as soon as possible before the job to drain as much oil out of the housing as possible and make sure you don’t overtorque the bolts holding the housing on. Also make sure the housing sits on the dowels before you bolt it together. 

• Thanks 1

I remember another tip. When you loosen the alternator bolts (I believe just the upper one), loosen the bolt a few turns then tap it with a hammer. The bolt threads on a brass bushing pressed in the alternator and tapping it pushes it back so it can be removed and put back in a lot easier 

Edited by 4aceman
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Steve VH said:

I did read of someone replacing this infamous gasket, only for the leak to continue, so I would make sure you get the gasket from bmw not Ebay.

Most definitely, there are some things I wouldn't skimp on!

Thanks @4aceman and @duncan-uk, CCV hadn't occurred to me until now, will have to look into how much of a job that is as well.

Cheers!