Forum 5

F07N...tyres

So tyres...I vaguely recall there was quite a lot of chat on the old forum about using run flats, or standard tyres.  This isn't about pros or cons of either, I'm happy (?) with the ride quality of the Goodyear excellences fitted. My gripe is with the debris on the roads and the damage they cause tyres.

So i had to replace the NSR last year due to a nail on the edge of the shoulder. It was new in 2020 and done about 10k....so well short of 20k, which is average, or less on BMW.

On Saturday, the TPMS indicated a problem...This time it was the OSR it had dropped from about 2.4bar to 1.9bar over the course of about 2 hours... i pumped it back to 2.4bar and drove home...nk discernable difference in drive.

On Sunday, I had the wheel off to check for damage. This time a screw appeared to be the culprit (see photo).

As I need to put new tyres on the rear, I've decided to change from Goodyear to Pirelli PZ4s.. they're C/A/69db rated compared to D/C/73db for the Goodyear excellence and cheaper. So I'll have Pirellis on the back Goodyear on the front.  The 'good' Goodyear excellence, which was only put on last year was manufactured in 22 and only done about 2k, will be flogged on ebay, or kept as an emergency spare.

So does anyone have experience of the Pirelli PZ4s and or driving with different brands front and rear?. All tyres are the correct size and load rating.

If I get a front puncture, I'll swap the Goodyears for Pirellis, otherwise, keep the set-up unless I have a problem.

I find it curious, that I'm only getting damage to the rear tyres, never the fronts..My visual acuity and brain processing aren't fast enough to spot 2cm nails/screws on the road ahead at speeds between 20mph - 70mph(😉) to avoid them in the first place.

20230312_102439.jpg

Have you got the Seal Inside version of the PZ4? That's what mine came with. 

I enjoyed the Pirelli last summer when I bought it but they are a bit pants in the winter. I know all summer tyres are pretty useless but these aren't as good as the equivalent Michelin or Goodyear which are the brands I've always used. 

Steering feel is virtually non-existent but I think that's just the 5 Series. 

I put a full set of the PZ4 Pirellis on in January last year, sticking with the runflats after a lot of deliberation.

I have been very impressed with them from day one. In the dry they handle superb, the car feels absolutely planted in any corner at “all” speeds !  In the wet …. well I’ve never been stupid enough to try and test them beyond the value of writing off my car, a 250bhp F07 is very easy to get the rear end out if you want to !!!  Under normal wet driving they still give me confidence all the time. 
They cost just over £800, which was a really good deal for 4 x 20” premium tyres. As you will know there is only a handful of tyres available in the right size for the GT but I am more than happy with them. My only negative is that I wish they had a bigger rim protector on them but 6k miles so far and very little wear.