Forum 5

OBD compatibility with Bimmertool/Bimmertech for G series cars

I just bought a Vgate iCar Pro OBD tool via Amazon where numerous people reported that it worked fine with Bimmertool on their cars.

It turns out that it doesn't support quite a few functions for G30/G31s and after a bit of reading, it appears that these bluetooth scanners aren't so good with newer generation BMWs. Okay, so the Vgate iCar Pro is one of the cheapest available, but how much do you need to spend to get a fully compatible scanner? Bimmertool's list of recommended scanners include some at over £100, but do you need to spend that for full functionality?

Having said that, if you're paying around £75 for the Bimmertool and Bimmercode apps, then it would be silly to get an OBD scanner that couldn't use those functions. I'm tempted to try a Vlinker BM, which can be had for around the £30 mark. Can anyone here recommend one that works?

I made the same mistake, and after buying the Vgate, I ended up buying a UniCarScan UCSI 2000 which does everything on Bimmerlink and Bimmercode. 
I’ve since moved on to an adapter for my phone which connects it to the proper OBDII cable, is more reliable and an awful lot quicker. 

I've already returned an Autophix 7910 because the functionality was so limited with my G31. However it did work fine on the F31 and was much quicker than this bluetooth one.

Now I've ordered a Vlinker BM from eBay, so we'll see how that goes. Apart from coding in a bigger display, setting the auto stop/start to stay in the last state and a few other bits, hopefully it won't be needed too often, so speed shouldn't be an issue.