Forum 5

Bumped into car whilst parking into my driveway

E39Man

Annoying thing happened about an hour ago. The short version is: I bumped into my neighbours car, but his car is already damaged in the area I bumped into. How do I avoid him taking the piss when it comes to repairing his car. I’m happy to pay for the damage I caused but no more than that. My car seems to have avoided any damage at all.

Long version: Whilst reversing into my driveway I had to drive forward a tiny bit then all the way back into my driveway. But after I went a tiny bit forward I didn’t engage reverse completely because a slight tap on the throttle made me bump into my neighbour’s car parked perpendicular on the road. The crash was really minor, more of a bump than a crash. 

(The whole episode wasn’t helped by the fact that there was another car stupidly parked before I did my manoeuvre and there was a whole load of people who witnessed the entire thing. Even more annoying was from a driver a few cars behind me patronisingly asking if I was going to leave a note. As I was walking up to my neighbours house I told the driver to mind her own business, that set her off and then started swearing and shouting at me, I ignored her and knocked on my neighbours door!)

My neighbour answered and we both went to look at the damage to his car, the damage was quite extensive! He initially couldn’t open the door but I  sorted it. I’m sure his car was already battered but he didn’t mention it, I told him let’s look at it properly in the day time. I want to avoid him getting me to replace both front and rear doors. I checked for damage on my car and there’s not even a scratch (but it was dark)

I want to be neighbourly but want to avoid my neighbour taking the piss, I don’t want to start a nightmare neighbour scenario!!

Do you have any security camera / dash camera / phone pictures of his car prior to this accident that would support your argument?

Good luck navigating this potential minefield.

Best regards,

Mick

This is a minefield and I'm not sure you can 'limit' the claim. If you're going to go through the insurance, you'll likely suffer "perpetrator pays...." I've had experience of this when someone rear ended a relative's  car..minimal damage, just a deformed crash bar,q  he wasn't prepared to pay £250 for the garage repair, so it went through the insurance, they decided it also needed a new bumper, so £2k bill instead of £250 that was paid out.

Only you know your neighbour and the situation. He's within his rights to go through the insurance. Depending on the car and the damage, it could be a write off, due to cost of repairs. I think you can appoint your own independent assessor, as opposed to accepting the insurance assessor (needs checking) who is more likely to consider existing damage to the components you damaged, rather just a new for old approach.

The alternative, you might consider is to effect repairs outside of the insurance route that limit betterment (remedial measures should not result in added advantage or better quality than the original). So for example if you added fresh damage to a damaged component, you could repair damage/ respray / replace with second hand part, etc......more cost effective than new, to limit your exposure to costs.  This would depend on how reasonable your neighbour wants to be.  If you go down this route, agree it in writing, using the term full and final settlement, otherwise you are at risk, if your neighbour changes his mind.....later.

So it turns out there was damage to my car, just a scuff which’ll be sorted via mobile smart repair. 

My neighbour is trying it on, he sent me a video saying not only did I damage both doors but also the sill. I know if I line my car up to his there’s no way the bottom of my bumper will reach his sill.

Being neighbours, I’ve the past week phoning 2 dozen places to either find a smart repairer or finding a couple of doors from a breaker. Finally found 2 in the same colour and fairly close for a local pick up. £300 for 2 doors plus whatever the mechanic will charge to fit them. I’m not repairing the sill as it was previously damaged. He said ok.

Now he wants either a courtesy car while his is being repaired, (even though the mechanic said it’ll take less than 2 hours to fit) Or if I don’t give him a courtesy car he wants me to pay for his full day loss of earnings. 

I said I’ve already gone above and beyond what I should do and no chance to courtesy car or loss of earnings. He said fine he’s going to call the police and inform his insurance tomorrow.

what a c***

Edited by E39Man
Typo
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, 4aceman said:

Perhaps you could find a mobile mechanic to sort it out on a weekend? Should be a simple job. Then no complaining about losing any work or needing a courtesy car

Yep, good shout, I’ve suggested it, just need to ask the mechanic if he can work weekends. The mechanic has been good so far, he questioned the neighbour straight away about the sill and looked at me as if to say that damage was already there!

Sorry to hear you have a difficult neighbour. He's entitled to have damage repaired, but compensation, e.g. loss of earnings, etc. is something different. He would need to demonstrate a reason for having a courtesy car, especially if repairs can be completed in a day. Unless his job can only be done in his car, which must be in a pristine condition, he is unlikely to be successful with a loss of earnings claim. What next, a retrospective whiplash claim for the shock of being told he hit your car?

Threatening to tell the Police is a tactic to intimidate you. No one was injured (?) so it is a civil matter, nothing to do with the police. They don't have time to catch criminals, never mind placate whiny neighbours who don't get what they feel they are entitled to.

See what he does today. If he doesn't go down the insurance route, don't do anything without getting his agreement in writing.

For the aggravation involved to date and in future, I think that going through the insurance is the only answer, unless your excess is greater than all the predicted costs?

1 hour ago, Kopfjaeger said:

Sorry to hear you have a difficult neighbour. He's entitled to have damage repaired, but compensation, e.g. loss of earnings, etc. is something different. He would need to demonstrate a reason for having a courtesy car, especially if repairs can be completed in a day. Unless his job can only be done in his car, which must be in a pristine condition, he is unlikely to be successful with a loss of earnings claim. What next, a retrospective whiplash claim for the shock of being told he hit your car?

Threatening to tell the Police is a tactic to intimidate you. No one was injured (?) so it is a civil matter, nothing to do with the police. They don't have time to catch criminals, never mind placate whiny neighbours who don't get what they feel they are entitled to.

See what he does today. If he doesn't go down the insurance route, don't do anything without getting his agreement in writing.

For the aggravation involved to date and in future, I think that going through the insurance is the only answer, unless your excess is greater than all the predicted costs?

It’s not just the excess to be considered but the increase in premium over the next 5 years.

I think my excess is a few hundred.

I bought my car less than 2 months ago (new to me but it’s a used car), I had to jump through extra hoops to get insured on this car as they initially refused to insure me. (Almost like they knew something would happen haha)

I’ve now offered my neighbour either loss of earnings for 1 day or he hires a car and I’ll pay for it. 

I can’t get over the fact he wanted to call the police on me, I knew they wouldn’t come but it’s the principle. I just  want to put the whole episode behind me. 

I guess we’ve both become nightmare neighbours to each other!

As he hasn't contacted his insurer, he's just seeing how much he can squeeze from you.  Make sure that whatever you agree to do to close this issue, that you get it in writing and include the phrase,  in full and final settlement and he signs it. (if you know a lawyer, just double check this). This should stop him from coming back for subsequent issues or extra pocket money!

An unfortunate experience, but at least you might get a concluded soon. Plus, you know to be wary of this individual in the future.

His wife stepped in to fight his battle, they want to go down the insurance route now. Quite annoying as I agreed to all their terms. 

They started to question everything, had doubts about the skill of the mechanic, if the doors were correct, where I was going to buy it from, they wanted a guaranteed 100% fit etc. At least now I no longer have to deal with them!

Quite ungrateful though, I had all my ducks lined up for this weekend, luckily I didn’t buy the doors!

Your neighbour might actually get less through insurance than he hopes especially if damage will not match what's on your car.  Just don't agree on any responsibility about damage, say it's definitely was damaged before and let insurers deal with it. At least he might get some headache as well while going through it. But sounds like he's quite professional on making claims to cash in.

I agree with the other members.

Inform your insurance company and let them deal with it. Your neighbour, the 3rd party, clearly has an agenda and thinks you're a cash cow as you drive a BMW.

They won't repair damage you didn't cause  and assessors aren't stupid.

Depending on the damage 'you' caused versus the other existing 'damage' on his car and its market value will guide the claim / resolution. If the car isn't pristine, then the insurance are unlikely to fund new for old replacements....Betterment comes into play.  The more he asks for, loss of earnings, courtesy car, etc. the insurance company are likely to resist and may even investigate him, to look at his claim history.

He is clearly not at fault, so long as the vehicle was legally parked, but could be perceived as being vexatious, which will bite him later...his future insurance premiums could be hiked, as his risk profile has changed, based on his vexatious nature.

• 1 month later...

Hopefully a conclusion and an unexpected outcome:

My neighbour wrote off his car!

I noticed a tow truck dropping his car off one evening and wondered what had happened. Then his car got towed away the next day. 

A couple of days later he sent me a message saying he’s found a buyer for his car but wanted me to give him money for the damaged doors. I was furious because he was lying and still trying to squeeze money from me. I thought about many ways to reply like knocking on his door and telling him to f*** off, but I slept on it wanting a clearer head before I sent a reply back. 

Good thing I waited, the very next morning his wife called and apologised for him sending an ‘obscure message’ and said the engine blew on the motorway, luckily he was ok but it did scare him. As he’s going to claim for that he’ll no longer by claiming for the door damage. She seemed quite sincere and wanted a fresh start, I agreed and we had a nice chat to conclude it all.  

In the end I didn’t give him a penny, he’s a chancer, I bet if he could claim for the doors and engine he would but maybe can only claim for one?

I need to update my insurance by telling them my neighbour won’t be making a claim, hope I haven’t inadvertently increased my own premiums in the long run?

What a palaver but hope that’s the end of it!!

• Like 1

Try to make some story with your insurance, like you have finally managed to get CCTV record from another neighbour (opposite side of street for example), where it can be seen that you didn't hit your neighbour's car, like you thought in the beginning bla bla bla. So in the end your neighbour won't make any claims against you. 

I highly doubt they will be interested in seeing any proof of this. But this way you might save your premium increase, because you didn't hit other car. 

That's obviously an idea, I don't know how specific conversations were between you and insurer, and how many details they know etc, just passing you over an idea how maybe you can get out of this situation.

Edited by Ray112