Forum 5

Creaking from front suspension when driving over speed bumps

Dimsum

I’ll try and get a video at some point, but when driving over speed bumps (or basically anything that compresses the front suspension) I get an annoying creaking noise commensurate with the suspension travel.

Any one had this? 

I plan on booking it in to investigate it, but I’m also hoping that whatever ot is would be covered under the comprehensive warranty…

• Like 1

Yes. My noise is/was a creaking noise over certain speed bumps over a certain speed, and distinctly from the offside. However I have recently replaced front discs and pads following which the noise disappeared (???!!!) Go figure. I'm not 100% convinced it's gone as I think the creak has returned (albeit a lot quieter, even intermittent) when going over the offending bump/s. 

Ultimately i suspect the front dampers. As far as I know they are original and have done 107k penal servitude so could do with renewing anyway. I wondered if full extension of the damper when I jacked up the front to change the discs and pads has fortuitously lubricated the damper somehow and done enough to stop/reduce the creak. 

Anyway, time will tell. Will be keeping an eye on this thread to see what your diagnosis is...

Edited by Phil_530d
Corrected
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Dimsum said:

Any one had this? 

I have. It's not a permanent occurrence. It can disappear for months before returning. Is yours there all the time?

I seem to remember @Andrew  and maybe some others mentioning the same on the old forum . Not sure whether the cause was ever located but at the time we suspected front anti roll bar bushes. My car is approaching 153000 miles now and has been doing this on and off more or less since I bought it with 59000 miles. It doesn't  seem to be getting any worse, just comes and goes at seemingly random intervals. It's not doing it at the moment and hasn't for quite a while but having said that will probably be back with a vengeance before long 🤣

I'll be interested to hear yours if you get round to making a video.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. Mine is permanent and doesn’t matter if the suspension is in Comfort + or Sport.

I would hope for a suspension arm or bushing issue and not the dampers as I imagine that would be pricey.

I have a few days off work coming up and will make a video, probably Friday.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/02/2023 at 10:12, Steve84N said:

Creaking is nearly always bushes/control arms, not dampers. 

I replaced all the front arms, dampers, drop links, springs and top mounts.

AC275515-B091-4536-8736-0931036-EC8-CD.j

The nearside control arm and wheel bearing had already been replaced before the above picture was taken.

The creaking is much reduced in noise and it's less frequent.

E76-C078-A-1-F6-E-4048-883-A-AD59523882-

The only thing left is the roll bar bushes themselves but they are bonded to the bar and only come with a new roll bar.

On 17/03/2023 at 14:46, Steve84N said:

I've bought some ARB bushes on Autodoc for front & rear. Haven't fitted them yet. The front ones are in two halves. 

Yes you are right, I should clarify that the cars without adaptive drive (mine) the bushes are bonded. If the car has adaptive drive the front arb bushes do indeed come on two halves and can be replaced. 

Adaptive drive bushes are in two halves and available separately 

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=FR72-EUR-01-2013-F10-BMW-535i&diagId=31_0828

Mine aren’t adaptive and aren’t available separately from the usual sources.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=FR72-EUR-01-2013-F10-BMW-535i&diagId=31_0827

They are bonded probably to reduce clonks and noise, oh wait a minute….

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update..

The car spent 4 days with my local dealer. Up until the morning of day 4 they were convinced it was the OS shock. When they got it apart to replace it, they discovered there was lots of play in a ball joint. As I needed the car for a family holiday to Gloucester the next day, they put it back together, assured me it was safe to drive, and booked it in for the 17th April when I’m back. 

We will see if this fixes it ?!

• Like 1

The car is back and all is sorted 🙂 

The OS lower wishbone was replaced and that has sorted the noise completely. Also covered under the comprehensive warranty which is handy, especially as the old girl has just hit 90k miles. 🙂 

• Like 2

I spoke too soon…. Similar but much quieter noise is now apparent, possibly from the NS. I’m heading back to the dealer tomorrow to book it in again. As Steve84N already said, more than likely the NS is also on the way out but wasn’t as noisy as the OS.

• Sad 1