Forum 5

E92 318i N43B20A engine timing chain tension

Hi have a 2011 E92 318i and after an oil change the other day noticed the chain was a little lose through the oil filler cap after sitting overnight - it could be moved 3-4mm but fortunately not enough to slip a cog.

Service history says new chain and guides fitted in 2019 by a bosch service centre at 88000 miles it now has 116500.

with some trepidation I started her up and didn't hear any undue noise or rattle after idling for 30 secs or so I stopped and had another look in the oil filler cap - chain now taught as expected. ~ drove car and used my foxwell scanner nothing out of the ordinary and no codes.

so i have a new genuine timing chain tensioner and the necessary 27mm socket to remove and fit the new tensioner. 

I’ve also read NewTIS and it looks a straightforward swap out replacing with new crush washer and torquing to 65Nm.

An indy was asked for advice and he said no dont swap without taking the rocker cover and locking off the cam shaft and crank shaft - again i have the timing tools from laser to do this along with new gaskets etc for rocker cover removal.

can anyone advise on course of action as dont want to risk the chain slipping 

thanks

Thanks @Sir Anthony Regents Parkfitted new genuine bmw tensioner. The old one was genuine bmw too but on compressing would hesitate slightly on releasing so think it was starting to fail.  Torqued up to 65nm as per NewTIS.  No problems since but as you say there is some very slight play on chain if car left to sit for a few days when oil drains from tensioner and it again relies on purely spring pressure.  Next job is new exhaust flexi which has split.