Forum 5

Has my timing chain gone?

Hi guys. Just headed to my MIL on Sunday afternoon and 2 miles from hers get Drivetrain warning. So I drive moderately the rest of the way. Turns out she’s out decide to head to my mothers but engine starts then cuts out slightly rough idle after like 3 or 4 seconds. Fearing timing chain so I haven’t tried to start her up again.

Here are the fault codes I took whilst driving the 2 miles

8B14A029-A7AA-494F-894D-FDD8474F5E8B.thumb.png.01c2c7996a632cfce0b8ef761b7eb3bb.png

Took another reading after the engine cut out too

8EC9A4DC-0AAC-46A2-A661-60A0244BB7CD.thumb.png.18d70f534754b4929a84719296c5277e.png

Anyone know if these codes point to timing chain or are they just EGR and DPF related? It has not been in for the EGR recall yet.

Thanks.

Edited by AndrewToo
Spelling

I had this with an E90 I previously owned and it was the EGR. I've had a couple of chains snap on an N47 previously and never have I had any drivetrain warning or rough running, they all simply just cut out then when trying to start sounded completely lacking in compression. How many miles do you have, any chain rattle been noted on start up?

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Liam2594. I haven’t noticed any chain rattle previous to this. It has been a little bit sluggish recently though compared to when I bought it 3 and a half years ago.

Should I call BMW for a recovery based on it probably being an EGR issue given I’ve just got the letter through the door for the recall do you think?

I have RAC recovery also.

I don’t know whether to drive it or not!

Update this morning.

I called my local BMW dealer(John Clark Aberdeen) to tell them about the car and they said due to the EGR and airbag recalls on it BMW Assist would recover it to them for free.

So I’m just waiting for that then I’ll call them back to broach the subject of a courtesy car with them. They said they were busy just now but hopefully I’ll get some goodwill from them. I got a courtesy car from them for the weekend the last time it went in for an EGR recall in Covid times. Will see. 🤞

4 hours ago, Liam2594 said:

How did you get on, hopefully a good result. 

You would think so but I’m still waiting for the bloomin’ useless BMW Assistance to recover it.

Told me it would be within 90 mins at 11.30am Monday. Was working all day and Tuesday so called them looking for an update at 5.30pm thinking it would be safely at the dealers but no. They had no record of a recovery for my car. Luckily I took the calm handlers name (James) so could back myself up.

Anyway, p#*sed off I get recovery booked again (Kirsty this time) and after many apologies get told I would get a text in 20 mins and get recovered this evening. 2 and a half hours later I’m waiting like a lemon at the car ON VALENTINES NIGHT but no sign of a recovery.

Call back to see WTF is going on and guess what? Yep. No recovery on the system for my car, despite the automated system recognising my phone number when I ring this time. Girl initially tried to give me BS about them still waiting for the recovery agent to respond before then saying actually there’s nowt on the system about a recovery for me or my BM. Jesus. Incompetent muppets.

Rebook, Many apologies from Alysha, offers of a call back from customer services to apologise/appease and talk of goodwill gestures etc. I ask if cars get recovered at this time of night (8.30pm by now) to be told yes no problem 24 hours a day. Tell her I am at the car 30 miles from my house and waiting on the recovery.

Well fool me twice they say. They got me 3 times now. I’m in my bed at home now. Car still where it was and no contact. Lying cow.

Dealer is getting an earful tomorrow morning.

So called the dealer to get them to organise recovery as I’m fed up with the shoddy/lack of service from BMW assist.

First lass was very nice. 2nd lass had an attitude and wondered why I wanted recovery! Erm, because your flipping colleague told me to?? Anyway she managed to organise the recovery fairly sharpish after that thankfully. She called back to apologise for all the messing around I’d had so far and I asked for a manager callback as I’m not happy with the shambles so far. He offers extreme TLC package whatever that means and a quick turn around but will struggle to offer a courtesy car as they’ve got over 30 cars out just now being super busy just now.

Call this morning to say car going on ramp soon and ask what the issue with car is. FML. That’s 8 separate BMW staff members I’ve had to tell the same story to. He then explains that if there are any other non EGR cooler fault codes there will be a charge. Haha I don’t think so. 

Googled this and saw how many bits are affected by EGR cooler, heaps!

6104D748-D9EE-4390-99AA-85E8B0EA2837.thumb.jpeg.7a51ebc7d8544d15e8b70abdde58e0aa.jpeg

Chap also insinuated any other EGR valve issues are not covered by recall.

Doesn’t sound like TLC care to me so far 😂

• 2 weeks later...

So the car was done in a day nice and quick. EGR cooler and airbag. Got the usual complementary safety check advising new rear brake discs and pads for £450. No thank you. They offered to investigate my PDCs which haven’t worked for a year for £150. No thank you (I fixed them myself this weekend). And said I needed a new DPF pressure sensor and pipe for £257, as clogged up (thinking a dodgy EGR cooler will not have helped, but impossible to prove). I’ll investigate it myself soon.

The TLC package extended as far as a wash and carpet hoover. I have never seen so many scratches on my car since. Thanks for nothing John Clark BMW.

The car is running fine and at least my chain hadn’t gone! Thanks for the advice guys.

On 26/02/2023 at 20:07, AndrewToo said:

So the car was done in a day nice and quick. EGR cooler and airbag. Got the usual complementary safety check advising new rear brake discs and pads for £450. No thank you. They offered to investigate my PDCs which haven’t worked for a year for £150. No thank you (I fixed them myself this weekend). And said I needed a new DPF pressure sensor and pipe for £257, as clogged up (thinking a dodgy EGR cooler will not have helped, but impossible to prove). I’ll investigate it myself soon.

The TLC package extended as far as a wash and carpet hoover. I have never seen so many scratches on my car since. Thanks for nothing John Clark BMW.

The car is running fine and at least my chain hadn’t gone! Thanks for the advice guys.

Sorry to say that I don't think your engine problem is fixed yet. The EGR cooler recall was a safety campaign to prevent the intake manifold catching fire due to glycol leaking from the EGR cooler. Your issue may be partially related to a clogged EGR valve, but some of the codes you posted are for the exhaust back pressure sensor, as BMW suggested.

The exhaust back pressure sensor is on the end of a pipe that comes out of the exhaust before the turbo - nothing to do with the EGR, although it is exposed to the same sooty crap that clogs the EGR and swirl flaps. A low or inplausible sensor reading is nearly always caused by the pipe getting blocked and it takes less than 5 minutes to verify - just take of the pipe, remove the sensor from the end and blow through the pipe. If you can't blow through it, buy a used replacement from eBay for about £20 or try unblocking it (but I've tried this and even after soaking in brake cleaner for 24hrs, I couldn't push a wire through). If you can blow through it, then the sensor itself will be faulty (which you can verify by doing resistance tests with a multimeter) and those too are about £20 from eBay.

Don't keep putting it off, or you'll need to get recovered again.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Greenfingers said:

Sorry to say that I don't think your engine problem is fixed yet. The EGR cooler recall was a safety campaign to prevent the intake manifold catching fire due to glycol leaking from the EGR cooler. Your issue may be partially related to a clogged EGR valve, but some of the codes you posted are for the exhaust back pressure sensor, as BMW suggested.

The exhaust back pressure sensor is on the end of a pipe that comes out of the exhaust before the turbo - nothing to do with the EGR, although it is exposed to the same sooty crap that clogs the EGR and swirl flaps. A low or inplausible sensor reading is nearly always caused by the pipe getting blocked and it takes less than 5 minutes to verify - just take of the pipe, remove the sensor from the end and blow through the pipe. If you can't blow through it, buy a used replacement from eBay for about £20 or try unblocking it (but I've tried this and even after soaking in brake cleaner for 24hrs, I couldn't push a wire through). If you can blow through it, then the sensor itself will be faulty (which you can verify by doing resistance tests with a multimeter) and those too are about £20 from eBay.

Don't keep putting it off, or you'll need to get recovered again.

Thanks @Greenfingers

So are we looking at part 9 the sensor and part 11 the pipe in this picture?

207A46E7-1D1F-4D74-8013-C8015D7B451A.thumb.png.84de509984ac6b9cd16fa6b23b6c7163.png