Forum 5

EGR cooler recall

On 19/11/2023 at 22:42, davyayr said:

Couple of days ago I received another letter from BMW about getting the EGR Cooler getting replaced. Not sure if this as a result of something found during the software update.

Hi Davy,

I have a 2015 F11 520D and had the software reprogrammed recall done last December. I’ve since received two of the letters you’re referring to - both very slightly different but essentially saying the same thing, that the cooler will be replaced when BMW have procured enough parts. They also make reference to contacting BMW if the engine is exhibiting certain symptoms, eg whistling etc. The trouble with of course is that is makes us all super sensitive to any unusual noise and of course turbodiesels do quietly whistle under loads from the turbo, occasionally!

I don’t believe you or I have received the letter in response to something being found during the software update process, I think this is a blanket campaign irrespective of, but related to, the software update. I get the impression that the software update is a stop gap to make the car more sensitive to detecting the kinds of situations that could lead to an EGR safety failure but that this alone is not enough to fully mitigate against the risk of a failing EGR. So the plan is to replace them as and when BMW get the parts. I was rather disappointed when I got the second letter last week as I thought it would be the one telling me they now had enough parts and asking me to book the car in whereas in reality it was just to tell me that they’re still working on it!

hope this helps?

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting update on the whole EGR cooler business.

I received a notification on my phone from the MyBMW app last week (which I don’t ever recall the app sending me notifications before) about an urgent recall. In reading the message in the app it’s titled “Recall or service campaign pending” and goes on to say that “Based on vehicle related data we have identified that there is a very high risk that the EGR cooler in your vehicle is showing the first signs of a possible leak” it then goes on to talk more about the risks and finally requests me to book it in to the dealer immediately for an EGR cooler replacement.

I called my nearest dealer who said they’d had a few calls about the same thing from other drivers and wanted a 90 min slot to investigate the car, which seemed odd to me. I mentioned that the message refers to “vehicle related data” so I assume this must be some telematics received engine/sensor data (2015 F11 520d B47) that BMW are reacting to and the dealer said they’d wondered the same thing but weren’t sure. None of this sounded very convincing so I called another local dealer and they knew all about it and said they could see on the system (can’t remember what they said it was called now) that my car absolutely required the EGR cooler replacement - much more confidence inducing this time.

So, it’s going in on 18th Jan which is the earliest slot they can give me. To be honest I can’t tell any different in performance and there’s no warnings etc so nothing to suggest an imminent problem. Hopefully stays that way for a month.

I’ll report back on what happens and what’s replaced. From what I’ve read in various places it seems that the new design for the cooler is not a compatible fit with the old design of EGR valve so the EGR cooler replacement is actually a replacement of the cooler and valve as a single unit? This would be nice if it actually does happen as mine has done 114k now so I expect the valve to be pretty gunged up. What are the typical experiences of having the valve replaced, do people notice smooth running etc? 

Andy 

Edited by Andy5150

1 hour ago, HandyAndy said:

my 530d is currently waiting on parts for this recall

This was essentially where I was at until last Wednesday, awaiting BMW to amass an inventory of parts and then hopefully receive a 3rd recall letter, this time telling me to book it in. The unexpected part was not getting a letter but getting a message through the MyBMW app. Do you use the app @HandyAndy? Worth checking for a message in there?

Edited by Andy5150

11 hours ago, HandyAndy said:

Update: Turns out as it's a Police vehicle it's not supported. No great shock there...

What a pain?! Then again, you’re not exactly missing a lot. Most of the features for the F10/1 are pretty basic as it’s optimised for newer models. A call to the dealer should confirm the situation though. 

Oh I spoke to the local dealer last time I was back in UK... just confirmed the outstanding recalls. Told the lad I was out of the country in 48hr and he asked if I wanted o book it in for the following week 🙄 I'm getting the recall done at a near BMW dealership over here when they get the parts in... always fun watching their tech go to the wrong side of the car! Be interesting to see what loaner I get this time... for the last recall I got a brand new 320d with 23km on the clock. Didn't like that you can't control the lights, but impressed that even set up in German the voice command recognised English straight away!

• 1 month later...

I have an F45 (218d Active Tourer - don't laugh!). I received a recall letter in November saying that I will receive another update when parts are available. Said to contact BMW urgently if I experience any of the symptoms that others have mentioned e.g. Loss of power, drivetrain error etc.

So one evening driving on the M25 with the whole family in the car I experienced all the issues. Had to drive 35 miles at max 40 mph, but luckily made it home.

BMW recovered the vehicle to my local service centre.

The service centre called me to let me know that 'the recall has been applied'. But, they recommended that I pay for some diagnostics because the engine isn't running well and they had to add 2 litres of engine oil.

I asked them to confirm if the power issue was resolved. They said that it's not - which seems totally strange to me. If this recall was due to a faulty part that can cause the symptoms they listed, then surely they should fix those issues before returning the vehicle?

Has anyone else experienced this?

My car is now sat at the service centre while I try to get something done about it via BMW customer services. So far, not much progress.

Unfortunately the report from the service centre is that the turbo has failed and I either need a new engine, or to find a garage who will rebuild it. Nothing todo with the EGR Cooler recall, apparently. So, I'm looking at £5k best case but likely more. It's only done 46k miles!

Now I am looking for companies who will buy this POS, so I can recover some money and buy a new car.

Has the turbo failed and bits of the turbo been ingested by the engine?

It’s unusual for a failed turbo to write off the engine unless it’s been a catastrophic turbo failure. 

What’s the service history like on the car? Has it had regular oil changes?

Yes they said that they suspected that bits of the turbo have been ingested by the engine. A local garage have given me a quote to take out the engine and inspect it, but I don't really want to risk wasting more money on this car. I spent 3.5k 18 months ago on a mysterious engine fault as well.

It has a full service history, with the second service being 10 months late (previous owner) but all the rest being on time.

They said that they had to add a lot of engine oil to it. But it only warned me once (when I lost power) that the oil was at the minimum level.

• 2 months later...

Sounds very familiar...

F11 2012 520 Touring. Was called in late last year for EGR cooler recall (2nd time after initial recall/check circa 2 years ago.

Long story short; as soon as I got the car back I noticed a whine from the engine that changed with engine speed, called BMW dealership who said it'll be fine, I disagreed and insisted it was checked.  Got a written statement that it was just minor turbo noise and nothing to be concerned about... some 3 weeks later get drivetrain error and into limp mode, 3miles later car stops in a cloud of smoke. Get recovered to deal where they say the turbo has likely failed, but its nothing to do with the recall work!