Forum 5

E39 drag race

Matt

I was going to post this - it's interesting that even with the 'professional' racing driver in the M5 it still can't beat the Alpina's by any margin if at all.

There are a few erroneous facts in there as there is only 28bhp (347bhp to 375bhp) between the facelift B10 V8 and V8S (not 40 as they state) and then only 25 up to the 400bhp of the M5. Given that Alpina were notorious in this era of understating their HP figures the results were what I've always thought - if you can nail the gearchanges in the M5 and it's perfectly dry you might find the declared 0.1/0.2 second advantage over the Alpina cars but in real world conditions the Alpina owner only has to stomp the loud pedal and the lower down torque can close those margins to practically nothing or even romp away. 

A bit bad that they all cooked their brakes though - the B10 V8 has the smallest squeak of an excuse in that it only has 540i brakes but the massive M5 brakes and bonkers expensive Brembo four pot set up on the V8S should have no excuses. 

• Like 1