Forum 5

Impact Wrench, Recommendations

Steve VH

1 hour ago, Steve VH said:

Looking at various cordless impact wrenches, with different Nm torque specs, from 420Nm to over 1000 Nm, what Nm torque specs would be needed for undoing car wheel nuts, anyone. 

My impact is rated at 215NM and has no problem undoing correctly torqued wheel nuts. 

The ones the garages hugely overtighten I usually need a breaker bar (sometimes with a pipe on the end)

3 hours ago, Steve VH said:

Looking at various cordless impact wrenches, with different Nm torque specs, from 420Nm to over 1000 Nm, what Nm torque specs would be needed for undoing car wheel nuts, anyone. 

I have this and it's been faultless:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brushless-Cordless-Adjustable-Aluminum-17-19-21-23/dp/B092JJ8HY2/ref=sr_1_1?crid=22HVNUYEV8DQC&keywords=Brushless+Impact+Wrench+1%2F2+Inch+600Nm+Cordless+with+4.0Ah+Battery+20V&qid=1675083943&s=diy&sprefix=brushless+impact+wrench+1%2F2+inch+600nm+cordless+with+4.0ah+battery+20v%2Cdiy%2C98&sr=1-1

Was looking at Makiita, DeWalt etc and didn't want to spend nearly x3 that price simply for wheel nuts and the other odd small jobs here n there

So far it's been perfect and hasn't failed yet!

On 06/02/2023 at 09:25, Syncrofred said:

How long have had it?   I have an air-power one from Machine Mart and it's next to useless.

This aimed at me pal?

If so since I had the F01 so Sept 2021 or thereabouts 

10 hours ago, Syncrofred said:

Sounds like you have had it long enough to prove it's worth. I think I might invest in one and dump the air powered job.

Used it a lot; dropped it a lot, hasn't failed me yet and at £100 it's worth giving it a lick, more so if it's for bog standard stuff etc

• 4 weeks later...

I have this Makita, which I bought because I have other Makita tools. It means I don't need to buy the batteries and charger. It's a beast and will undo almost anything; I only use it on wheel nuts, suspension and related bolts. It's increased in price, but it is a quality item.

1 hour ago, Changy said:

I have this Makita, which I bought because I have other Makita tools. It means I don't need to buy the batteries and charger. It's a beast and will undo almost anything; I only use it on wheel nuts, suspension and related bolts. It's increased in price, but it is a quality item.

Same here! It's a monster!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/02/2023 at 09:25, Syncrofred said:

I have an air-power one from Machine Mart and it's next to useless.

I ended up giving mine away for free and I couldn't sell it and had not ability to undo wheel bolts despite my compressor being more than match for its requirements.

So I went for a Dewalt DCF894n 440Nm of torque, will undo most things. But I already had a Dewalt Drill and Impact Wrench so could save on the battery/charger.

97793-E5-C-89-D1-4-B5-C-9831-2-BB2-AB6-F

When it fails, I resort to a 1000mm long 3/4" drive breaker bar

D6-E1-ED27-1-B04-4-BE5-8-E44-B4-FF57-E4-

It's not let me down, unlike the 1/2" drive versions.

• 4 months later...

High torque Milwaukee buzz gun with a high output 8ah battery, I bit and got the battery this month, did up a hub nut with the 5ah battery, then when I put the 8ah on it got another 1/4 turn out of it, amazing. Unstoppable in most cases, I don't even try and undo drop links now, just set to tighten and shear the head off in 2 uggas 😂

• Haha 1