Forum 5

Brake judder

F10-65

Changed over to my 17" wheels and tyres and still got the judder... Doesn't mean that these wheels are perfectly balanced but unlikely to have the exact same effect as my normal 19" ones.

Had a good waggle on the suspension components and they all seem good.

Pads and disc look ok to the naked eye. I bought the car in Aug 2019 so I've had a good run on them and no idea how old they were when I took ownership so I'll be replacing pads and discs next. I quite fancy some ceramic pads for less brake dust and will make sure the discs are either from the local dealer or a good brand such as ATE.

The search for the judder continues....

10 hours ago, Munzy said:

Changed over to my 17" wheels and tyres and still got the judder... Doesn't mean that these wheels are perfectly balanced but unlikely to have the exact same effect as my normal 19" ones.

Had a good waggle on the suspension components and they all seem good.

Pads and disc look ok to the naked eye. I bought the car in Aug 2019 so I've had a good run on them and no idea how old they were when I took ownership so I'll be replacing pads and discs next. I quite fancy some ceramic pads for less brake dust and will make sure the discs are either from the local dealer or a good brand such as ATE.

The search for the judder continues....

Did you do the early morning cold tyre pressures?

@F10-65 Luckily my friend's garage, where the wheels are stored, is less than a mile from a pump and sub 5 degrees temps simulate a cold morning nicely.

Also cleaned the hub and wheel mating surface with one of those drill attachments with the black circle of rough material.

It actually feels worse under 'firm' braking from 60+mph - very high frequency judder as the car comes to a stop. 

There is a bit of pulsing through the pedal and no wobble on the steering wheel so I'm hoping new pads and discs will solve it for me. 

6 hours ago, Munzy said:

@F10-65 Luckily my friend's garage, where the wheels are stored, is less than a mile from a pump and sub 5 degrees temps simulate a cold morning nicely.

Also cleaned the hub and wheel mating surface with one of those drill attachments with the black circle of rough material.

It actually feels worse under 'firm' braking from 60+mph - very high frequency judder as the car comes to a stop. 

There is a bit of pulsing through the pedal and no wobble on the steering wheel so I'm hoping new pads and discs will solve it for me. 

Hey Munzy, Ignore me, I thought it was while you was driving at 70-80.  Didn't realise you meant under braking.

I have had both your issues, judder under braking and a wobble at 70-80.  The tyre pressure accuracy solves the wobble.  My indy said I have warped discs and recommended replacing them with Pagid as he's never had an issue since.  It annoys but not £600 worth of annoying just yet, I'd rather replace discs and pads on all corners at the same time.

• Like 1

Looking like this would be a sensible move on mine too. 250k+ km and there's a slight front end vibration at speed and under braking.

Changing the front discs made a big difference but if these are worn (they will be by now) then any new discs will suffer earlier than needed, so will need replacing again. False economy not to do this, methinks.

• Like 2

What you say makes sense.

I put Borg and Beck discs and pads on and they warped within 6k.  Then I swapped them for Brembos and they warped too within 6k.  I drive quite fast but I'm not a heavy braker so just maybe the control arms are the cause of the discs wearing early?

I bought the car with 53k on it so I struggle to believe the control arms were already gone.  Could a bad sign?

Edited by F10-65

• 4 weeks later...

I've ordered a kit from EBC - new discs and pads.

Always read good things in various forums about EBC over the years and always wanted to try their brakes.

I went with the red pads because:

- less brake dust

- ceramic compound is said to have firmer feel and I like the idea of ceramic 🙂

Discs have a black thermatic (?) coating to prevent corrosion (braking surface ends up silver after use) which I like the sound of as the BMW stamped ones I have end up looking rusty and crusty around the edges after one Scottish salty winter no matter how often I wash my car.

I would have liked to have purchased the slotted discs (out of stock) as they look even cooler imho but I need to get this brake judder sorted asap and the brakes are the next thing to try.

Got a handy £95 discount using code FAM20 so paid £457 including a new wear sensor.

f11 front brakes2.jpg

Edited by Munzy
  • Like 1

New pads and discs arrived 😊 

They look great, really like the black anti corrosion coating (braking surface ends up silver) which should go well when I get my wheels refurbed darker than oem silver. 

Hopefully get them fitted over the weekend and will report back on judder issue…

0A1B1E06-4F51-4EBD-ACF6-8B1D8EEC9FB7.jpeg

E1259CE5-C2D0-45BD-BFD9-38F9B99D6CB3.jpeg

F80C6755-E6E8-4A34-B5E8-5C13DA5479D4.jpeg

3E9D07CC-31F9-487D-BC3D-A5510D007469.jpeg

Edited by Munzy
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Munzy said:

New pads and discs arrived 😊 

They look great, really like the black anti corrosion coating (braking surface ends up silver) which should go well when I get my wheels refurbed darker than oem silver. 

Hopefully get them fitted over the weekend and will report back on judder issu

I wasn't expecting to see the rivetted aluminium top hat on the EBC discs. Hope they live up to the EBC name for you.

On 15/01/2023 at 15:01, HandyAndy said:

Looking like this would be a sensible move on mine too. 250k+ km and there's a slight front end vibration at speed and under braking.

Changing the front discs made a big difference but if these are worn (they will be by now) then any new discs will suffer earlier than needed, so will need replacing again. False economy not to do this, methinks.

Just booked mine in at local Indy to get the arms done

Fingers crossed

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, I've had the control arms replaced today and the suspected 'warped discs' have definitely improved or disappeared entirely.

Gonna take her out for a longer spin later to see if the wobble really has taken a bus.

It might be me but the front seems to sit a little higher but maybe it just needs to settle down a fraction.

We'll see

Control Arms.pdf

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not the best result

The original symptoms were a wobble between 75 and 85, most prominent at 80. And, brakes felt like they'd warped under braking.

New control arms have been fitted at £430

The brakes are perfect but the wobble has become a fast vibration from 80 to 90.

I've been and had the tracking done, which def made a slight improvement

But i feel i'm back to square one.

Ideas anybody?

I'm in a similar situation with a wobble at those sort of speeds. 

So far I've had all the wheels balanced again, replaced all the front suspension arms and front tie rods/inner arms. 

My next round of parts includes the propshaft centre support bearing, rear guibo, differential bushes and engine/gearbox mounts. Not being fitted until 22nd April but I'm hoping that resolves it. 

Edited by Steve84N
  • Sad 1

I've had my new EBC pads and discs on for 500 miles now and seems to have solved my wobble under braking as described above (new control arms last summer). The old pads still had a good amount of material on them but noticed where they float in the bracket there was a lot of corrosion. I would have liked to have cleaned and greased these as suspect that the outside pad was held against the disc maybe causing heat build up?

Refurbed (with one wheel having been repaired) 19" wheels balanced and back on although was no wobble on the 17" ones I had on.

To be honest I don't feel much difference in the new EBC brakes but no wobble is a biggie. However, the black anti corrosion coating on the disc hub is very nice and neat looking.

I will get them bled in the summer as I feel there is just a bit too much travel and they feel a bit soft. (Had them bled at BMW July 21 but got a suspicion they did nothing as the pedal felt the exact same afterwards... will be marking the bleed nipples this time!)

Edited by Munzy
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Steve84N said:

I'm in a similar situation with a wobble at those sort of speeds. 

So far I've had all the wheels balanced again, replaced all the front suspension arms and front tie rods/inner arms. 

My next round of parts includes the propshaft centre support bearing, rear guibo, differential bushes and engine/gearbox mounts. Not being fitted until 22nd April but I'm hoping that resolves it. 

Its so frustrating hey