Forum 5

ULEZ compliant

BarryM

This is quite important for quite a few people as the London ULEZ zone will be expanded in August to include all London boroughs.  That means most of the land inside the M25.  Other cities like Bristol are also implementing similar schemes.

For many people who live in these zones (8 million is about the population for London for example - so quite a few I woukd guess) it means paying £12.50 every time they leave their drive or garage or £12.50 every day if they park on the road I think.  Over £4000 a year.

As far as I am aware 530is and 525is are ULEZ compliant (issues with Japanese imports though) but 523is and 528is I don't think are.

I think we are going to see a load of nice cars scapped under scrappage schemes or sold to people out of the zones.

Edited by Dbcrd

9 hours ago, Dbcrd said:

This is quite important for quite a few people as the London ULEZ zone will be expanded in August to include all London boroughs.  That means most of the land inside the M25.  Other cities like Bristol are also implementing similar schemes.

For many people who live in these zones (8 million is about the population for London for example - so quite a few I woukd guess) it means paying £12.50 every time they leave their drive or garage or £12.50 every day if they park on the road I think.  Over £4000 a year.

As far as I am aware 530is and 525is are ULEZ compliant (issues with Japanese imports though) but 523is and 528is I don't think are.

I think we are going to see a load of nice cars scapped under scrappage schemes or sold to people out of the zones.

Allegedly several boroughs (mainly S. London) are taking action against Khan over this proposal. 

Owners of cars that will become virtually worthless inside the zone are also voters 😉

WBAC is going to have a field day pre. August if Khan gets his way.

If I get an overwhelming urge to drive in London, I’ll use my ULEZ exempt 67 year old Austin.  I’m a fully paid-up supporter of Tree-V, who plant trees to offset CO2 emissions, so I don’t feel any guilt about driving it.

The reality is that if the U.K. stopped emitting any carbon at all, it would make next to f***k all difference globally, but I pay into two carbon capture schemes to offset my dirty habits.

On 17/01/2023 at 16:48, BarryM said:

I guess I was just surprised my 20yo petrol V8 can be exempt from charges, as my car isn't on the official list I have to apply to Tfl but it's worth it as my son lives just inside the zone

I'm getting a certificate for 22 year old B10 V8 Touring and also for my 26 year old 5.7 litre B12 which has even smaller NOx emissions.

22 hours ago, Sharkfan said:

I'm getting a certificate for 22 year old B10 V8 Touring and also for my 26 year old 5.7 litre B12 which has even smaller NOx emissions.

A bit of a typo by me as my B10 is a 2001 model as well, I’m even more impressed about the B12!

On 22/01/2023 at 19:28, Sharkfan said:

On 23/01/2023 at 18:09, BarryM said:

A bit of a typo by me as my B10 is a 2001 model as well, I’m even more impressed about the B12!

Emissions for the 2001 4.6 litre B10 V8 Touring (ULEZ NOx limit is 0.08g/km0

NOx: 0.0627 g/km

CO: 1.3400 g/km

Emissions for the 1997 5.7 litre V12 B12 5.7 Lwb;

NOx: 0.0272 g/km

CO: 0.369 g/km

The B12 is super clean.

• Like 1

I noticed this as there doing a similar thing in the Manchester area, vans and commercial stuff at min but will spread to cars no doubt

looking at ulez my 1998 540i/6 manual touring that’s got a certified lpg conversion isn’t ulez complaint! My 540i sport auto on petrol is tho! Also have a 530i on lpg and that’s ulez ok, I was aware a few years back if they were lpg they were congestion charge exempt but looking at it now that’s not the case!

• 6 months later...

Dear All,

I have a May 2000 Alpina B10 3.3 and a December 2000 530i Touring - Both of which ARE ULEZ compliant - but - boy has it been a hassle getting TFL to recognise them as "compliant".  

For the Alpina TFL weren't too awkward about recognising it as compliant (I had to pay about EUR80 for a Certificate of Conformity from Alpina) but the 530iT was a real pain - it took about a month and 4/5 non-sensical rejections from TFL before they finally admitted it was compliant.  

My point is - how do we publicise the fact that late 90's/early 2000 petrol engined BMWs ARE ULEZ compliant?  The general public/many 5 series owners wont be aware that their vehicles ARE compliant and will either scrap them, or sell them for a cheap price, and reduce the number of "youngtimer" 5 series becoming "historic" vehicles?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, VanguardPaul said:

Dear All,

I have a May 2000 Alpina B10 3.3 and a December 2000 530i Touring - Both of which ARE ULEZ compliant - but - boy has it been a hassle getting TFL to recognise them as "compliant".  

For the Alpina TFL weren't too awkward about recognising it as compliant (I had to pay about EUR80 for a Certificate of Conformity from Alpina) but the 530iT was a real pain - it took about a month and 4/5 non-sensical rejections from TFL before they finally admitted it was compliant.  

My point is - how do we publicise the fact that late 90's/early 2000 petrol engined BMWs ARE ULEZ compliant?  The general public/many 5 series owners wont be aware that their vehicles ARE compliant and will either scrap them, or sell them for a cheap price, and reduce the number of "youngtimer" 5 series becoming "historic" vehicles?

Just spotted an article probably about you on some news portal. Apparently quite poorly informing portal, because it didn't mention anywhere that both cars does meet emission targets and were made ulez exempt in the end. All they were rumbling was that modern classic cars will disappear because of ulez, not that some actual can be a good solution to ulez requirements.

Link to the article:  https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/ulez-expansion-august-end-modern-classic-car-sadiq-khan-rules-b1102955.html

For the benefit of owners of non-compliant cars that find themselves having to drive into the extended ULEZ that becomes effective on Tuesday :

I have read, in more than one article, that should you do so without notifying TFL in advance of your intention it's not just a case of having 3 days in which to pay the £12.50 charge, but a £160 fine.

Anybody else with any insight to this being factual or just spam?

If the former is the case this should be widely publicised on motoring forums as TFL are certainly not doing so 😕

I believe it's the same payment system as the central London congesting zone. 

This if from the TFL payment site

When to pay

If you drive within the zone, you'll have to pay by midnight on the third day following the journey.

If you don't pay on time, you risk getting a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN).

On 27/08/2023 at 08:23, Stressed said:

I believe it's the same payment system as the central London congesting zone. 

This if from the TFL payment site

When to pay

If you drive within the zone, you'll have to pay by midnight on the third day following the journey.

If you don't pay on time, you risk getting a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN).

So it's the PCN that is £160, appears I got my figures arse-about-face 🤔

Thanks for clearing that up.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 06/10/2023 at 14:57, Amadeus said:

So I have 535i 1998 model, asked BMW for COC, knowing NOX on my car is 0.073 which lands below ULEZ 0.08, have submitted today to TFL, awaiting answer. Any others who have done so iand if TFL accepted?

I have a 523i 1998 model, BMW COC for HC+NOx as 0.294 g/km only. How did you get  NOx emission separately for year car?