Forum 5

Dash Cam - where to tap for a power source?

Tallman85

Hi All,

I need to install a dash cam on my lci E61 however the problem is always the same one;  where to get the power source from?  as you are aware the cigarette lighter socket is hidden away in the ashtray and i don't like it to stay open.  I also do not like messy wires going around..etc...some cameras needs the big 12v socket and some works with USB 5v ... 

What is the best source of power tapping?  can you tap in roof bulb? any ideas please?

Thank you

I have a dashcam in my E60, and like you, I don't like seeing wires. I ran my cable from the roof void down the door trim, then behind the glove box, and tapped into the torch supply. When the car goes into sleep mode, the torch supply shuts down.

Perhaps there is a supply in the courtesy light, but I have not tested it.

Changy

8 minutes ago, Changy said:

I have a dashcam in my E60, and like you, I don't like seeing wires. I ran my cable from the roof void down the door trim, then behind the glove box, and tapped into the torch supply. When the car goes into sleep mode, the torch supply shuts down.

Perhaps there is a supply in the courtesy light, but I have not tested it.

Changy

Hi Changy,

thanks for the reply.  What do you mean the torch supply? 

thx

1 minute ago, Tallman85 said:

Hi Changy,

thanks for the reply.  What do you mean the torch supply? 

thx

On my car I have a small pull out torch located on the RH side in the glovebox. My car is pre-LCI and I thought it was standard; perhaps not?

4 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

Fag lighter.

Thx Gonzo.  But from where do you go in? I mean how would you route the wires?

by the way my car does have the torch socket…that means i now have to buy the damn torch 😀 … and they go for silly money. 

8 minutes ago, Changy said:

I'll see if I can find mine and you can buy it for sensible money?

I don’t want to cause you unnecessary work…send me a pm with details and shipping costs to Malta if you still want to do it.  Thx for the help. 

14 hours ago, Tallman85 said:

Thx Gonzo.  But from where do you go in? I mean how would you route the wires?

by the way my car does have the torch socket…that means i now have to buy the damn torch 😀 … and they go for silly money. 

Round the glove box and up the trim next to the windscreen, along the roof liner and down the mirror loom

Where is the fuse box in E61?  I have the F10, the box is behind the glovebox and my mate gave me some piggyback fuse holders.  They have them in Halfords.

But yes pull the headliner down just a little, remove the A pillar column cover (disconnect the battery if you have airbag there)

5 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

Yes, the A pillar trim and the front fusebox is always live so not an option to connect to unless you like being reminded of high battery discharge and possible flat batteries. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but you need a permanent live (yellow) and a switch live (red) for a DashCam so the fusebox is always going to be the best supply.

Garmin Parking Mode Cable | Halfords UK

Edited by F10-65
Error

Depends…the new ones work on 5v and not 12v … and fuse box and cigarette lighter is all 12v correct? 

the ones i see are positive and ground only i think.  Some has a built in battery to work when car is off and will activate on motion or car moving / vibrations.

22 minutes ago, Tallman85 said:

Some has a built in battery to work when car is off and will activate on motion or car moving / vibrations.

@Gonzo is correct, I initially used a piggyback fuse holder on mine and relied on the dashcam movement sensor. Sadly, a sparrow farting in my garden tripped the camera too often, and the battery drainage warning welcomed me each morning. I'll photograph where I concealed the wires and add them later. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Well, today I installed the dashcam.  I think this is the most OEM-looking camera you can buy.  It comes with an adapter to get power from the Rain Sensor which is great, no wiring hassle, etc.  It also comes with a rear camera, but I did not bother for now.  Well, it is easy and it will take power from the main camera but I did not have time to route the wire to the back. It connects with WIFI with the phone, so easy to see live and download pics or vides at 12Mb.  It was not cheap, but i think it looks the part 🙂 

IMG-6950.thumb.jpg.db6fae35c6d825d30ebaf13bb6abd408.jpgIMG-6951.thumb.jpg.5c10615cda83e254882c3001290d916b.jpgScreenshot2023-05-06151513.png.6d098935ceeaeb212f02175d13fc75c9.png  

• Like 1

I tapped into the back of the power output on the rear of the centre console for the rear passengers. Used a piggy back connector so not to lose the power from the socket, and still power the dashcam. 

• Thanks 1

I saw that type but decided to go for an obvious cam, reason being is my mate was in a crash for cash scam a while back (managed to stop in time but they still tried it on) and as I said to him, if they saw a dash cam they wouldn't have tried it.

Well the reason I bought this is the way around.  I wanted one as stealth as possible not to get stolen while the car is parked 🙂 

We don’t have that crash for scam here…so far at least.

@Gonzo will the car power up (wake up) when locked and hit? Or moved? Someone bumping into it? 

• 1 year later...

New here and trying to sort out the Nextbase in my missus E60. Apparently the factory hard wire kit didn't work so it was wired into the door with a bespoke harness somehow but it gets no power, ignition on or off. Can't take it back to the installer.

Any ideas on where to start?