Forum 5

Thank Goodness It’s Turned Milder

I can get into my car at last without the risk of yanking the handles off! Alternate rainy days and freezing nights last week virtually sealed all the doors shut every night. Anyone got any magic potions to help stop or reduce it without attracting lots of muck to adhere to the seals? Couldn’t get my wheely bins open either but at least I can give them a good bang with a shovel to shift them!

• 1 month later...

BobA, I use this protector. SONAX Gummifleger on all the rubber seals on my F07. It's about £10 from Amazon for 100ml.  I use it twice a year, typically at the end of Summer, around September and then in the following Spring.  If its really cold where you are, you might want to use it more frequently to keep the rubber supple....

20230205_200448.jpg

20230205_200501.jpg

Thanks for that @Kopfjaeger. Maybe a bit late for this year (maybe not, it was damn frosty this morning) but I’ll get some anyway. For some reason the G31 has been my worst car ever for freezing shut, must be something to do with the way the doors are angled or maybe the slope on my drive but the rain just seems to sit at the top of the seals and freeze there.

shame I can’t read the label 😉

Edited by BobA

If the temperature is above 10 degC, it should be good to apply....it seems to dry fairly quickly, but I've not tried to apply it in very cold temperatures..... Takes about 30 minutes to do all doors, bonnet and hatch....sunroof is a bit more tricky....

On a separate note, you could try a car cover, if you dont't have a garage or car port, etc. A cover would keep the car relatively dry and you would only have to worry, if there was some condensation, that could freeze...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It doesn’t say anything you can’t figure out but more or less says:

shake the bottle, take the cap off and squeeze the applicator downwards to release of the liquid. Apply evenly and leave to work in for a few moments and wipe off with a cloth.

Then the warnings - not to be used on bicycle or motorbike tyres. Not to be left in hands of children 

• Like 1