Forum 5

N57 530D - timing chain replacement as preventive maintenance or not?

RH27

Hi all,

Bought an F10 530D about 7-8 months ago and absolutely adore it.

I do intend on keeping this car for a while as I doubt there is anything within my budget that will do what it does better.

It's on 117k miles now with FSH and oil changes done by previous owner every 10k or so via the service book.

I'm thinking whether it is worth getting the timing chain done as preventive maintenance as I do intend on keeping it at least 3 years before considering a G30 as probably my last ICE, or just keeping on to it for as long as I can.

It'll set me back about £950 - £1,200 from what I've seen.

I know the N47 2.0 are notorious for timing chain faults, but have also read the N57 suffers, hence sitting on the fence.

Your opinions and experiences are welcome.

Also, happy new year all!

Thank you.

Edited by RH27

On 31/12/2022 at 23:52, RH27 said:

Hi all,

Bought an F10 530D about 7-8 months ago and absolutely adore it.

I do intend on keeping this car for a while as I doubt there is anything within my budget that will do what it does better.

It's on 117k miles now with FSH and oil changes done by previous owner every 10k or so via the service book.

I'm thinking whether it is worth getting the timing chain done as preventive maintenance as I do intend on keeping it at least 3 years before considering a G30 as probably my last ICE, or just keeping on to it for as long as I can.

It'll set me back about £950 - £1,200 from what I've seen.

I know the N47 2.0 are notorious for timing chain faults, but have also read the N57 suffers, hence sitting on the fence.

Your opinions and experiences are welcome.

Also, happy new year all!

Thank you.

IMO if it's running fine then leave it be

They don't ALL fail; just like not ALL N47s / N57s suffer from chain failure

It's all about how it's been looked after & serviced etc...

IF SH is sketchy and you've the budget to do it; then get it done.  But if the SH is good as you said, and it appears to have been looked after and serviced properly; enjoy it until anything crops up & then get it fixed...

Keep the slush fund topped up & you've that peace of mind then etc

• 1 month later...
On 03/01/2023 at 08:57, danb1979 said:

IMO if it's running fine then leave it be

They don't ALL fail; just like not ALL N47s / N57s suffer from chain failure

They may not all fail, but they will all wear and the chains will stretch. I've seen videos oine of M47/M57 engines being done and on disassembly the tensioner being fully extended due to chain stretch (e.g. very close to a failure), and those are co soldered the more robust designs. 

These are consumable parts, as with all others. After 100K it's matter of time, with some lasting longer than others. 

The N47/N57 AFAIK are the same design and almost all the same parts too.

If you are keeping the car and want a peace of mind, you should do it. 

I'm budgeting to do my N47 as soon as she stops robbing me on a MK thly basis for other consumable parts.