Forum 5

2010 F07 530d GT - Injector problems?

00by

Hi,

Having some problems with my 2010 F07 530d GT.

Pulling into my drive last night after around a 50mile trip I noticed a strange tapping/knocking noise in time with the revs of the engine. I shut it off and came back to it this morning. 

Firstly I checked ISTA for codes and had the following:

• 241000 - Smooth-running regulator: correction quantity too high
  • 24AE00 - Smooth-running regulator: correction quantity of several cylinders outside permissi...
  • 24B300 - Smooth-running regulator, cylinder 2: correction quantity too high

Here's a couple of videos - the first is with a fully cold engine, I'd removed the air filter etc but I don't think it sounded too bad at this point, certainly not as bad as the evening before:

The second video is after a short 3mile drive, the car seemed fine (probably still a slight noise but much reduced) for about a mile but then the noise started to become apparent again. 

You can see that the engine seems to be moving around a fair bit (engine mounts were done about 10k ago as well). It also made a fairly loud squeaking/screeching noise as I reversed (similar to a belt slipping, maybe?) but I couldn't get this on camera. The drive belt was replaced earlier this year. 

I'd cleared the codes in the morning, but the same ones returned after the short drive.

Would anyone care to comment on what this could be? The fault codes lead me towards injector(s), but I wanted to throw it out to the community to hear some ideas!

Thanks very much

Edited by 00by

Update - ran a smooth-running control test on the injectors.

At idle all injectors stay within the green tolerance range, but as soon as light load is applied (quick drive down the road) then firing order 5 (cylinder 2) goes out of tolerance, and hit as high as 11.9. Video attached if anyone is interested. 

So, I guess this means the injector on cylinder 2 is faulty? What should my next option be, do I buy a new (or used?) injector and replace injector 2? Or do I try getting all injectors cleaned out first? Or should I get them all cleaned any replace injector 2?

Thanks!

Edited by 00by

Judging by your videos, it seems fine when cold and then #2 cylinder drops out after warming up, so I suspect you're right thinking it's an injector (mechanical) problem, rather than control (electrical).

I'm no expert, but surely it's unlikely that one out of six injectors is worn - more probable the fault is a blockage or bleed back. The first thing I would try is a dose of Redex injector cleaner. If that doesn't work, then one used injector won't break the bank and should be an easy DIY - especially if you have ISTA and could calibrate it yourself. I removed all 6 of mine recently after 130k miles without needing a slide hammer.

Tried (and failed!) to get the injector on cylinder 2 out today. It's really stuck in there...

Made a DIY mini slide hammer and it doesn't have enough oomph it seems...any tips for another try tomorrow?

I then tried the injector on cylinder 1 to see if that was any easier and it came out with a couple of light slide hammer taps!

Only possibly relevant advice iwas given for removing injectors (albeit on an N53) was not to try on a stone cold engine. Run it a few minutes beforehand so you can feel some warmth on the block with your hand. Should provide enough expansion so it's not rock solid, but still cool enough to work on.

Just now, HandyAndy said:

Only possibly relevant advice I was given for removing injectors (albeit on an N53) was not to try on a stone cold engine. Run it a few minutes beforehand so you can feel some warmth on the block with your hand. Should provide enough expansion so it's not rock solid, but still cool enough to work on.

On 10/12/2022 at 17:03, 00by said:

I'm actually tempted to swap the injectors from cylinder 1 and 2 and see if the problem moves cylinders...

Being a tightarse, that would be my next diagnostic test too.

It doesn't sound like you have a leaking injector seal, which would also be evidenced by black death deposits, so my bet is a clogged injector. A good dose of WD40 or Plusgas left for a day or so might help. If tapping the injector doesn't loosen it, try turning instead.

Don’t forget to replace those seals! Both the copper one and the o ring at the top. And label them - it’s important to put them back in where they came from or you’ll have to mess about with ISTA reprogramming them all. Each one has a code printed on it that needs to be set in the ECM.  There is a procedure to reset the smooth running adaptions once you’ve had them out and cleaned them up. 

Mine came out eventually with a sliding hammer.  Got a set cheap set from Amazon which made the job really easy. 
What is your manifold like? Mine was disgusting. 

On 12/12/2022 at 22:12, Stringbag said:

Don’t forget to replace those seals! Both the copper one and the o ring at the top. And label them - it’s important to put them back in where they came from or you’ll have to mess about with ISTA reprogramming them all. Each one has a code printed on it that needs to be set in the ECM.  There is a procedure to reset the smooth running adaptions once you’ve had them out and cleaned them up. 

Mine came out eventually with a sliding hammer.  Got a set cheap set from Amazon which made the job really easy. 
What is your manifold like? Mine was disgusting. 

Yes I will be - I've got the copper ones but still need to order the o-rings. Thanks, I understand about the codes and ISTA but didn't realise about the reset smooth adaptations feature. 

I've ordered a bigger slider hammer so will see how that goes!

My intake manifold was pretty grim when I cleaned it earlier this year (@ 140k), although I've seen a lot worse...!

Edited by 00by

It's just bad luck to have a stuck injector, although in your case I reckon you just need to overcome a bit of rust near the top, as opposed to the loads of carbon build up commonly seen on Mercedes diesels.

I think it's worth flooding the recess around the top of the stuck one with penetrating oil and waiting at least a day or a couple of heat cycles before doing anything drastic like this!

Good luck

• 1 month later...